Duckling nose blockage? EMERGENCY!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sarahhof, May 25, 2016.

1. sarahhof

sarahhof Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

This baby doesn't look too good- he's chirping and moving though, Coukd he bounce back? Can someone plz help is there anything I can do? Thanks!

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    What's wrong? The photo doesn't really tell me too much.

Is it just lethargic? Is it positioned oddly? (hard to tell from the photo?)

3. sarahhof

Sep 19, 2015
    Sorry- it's head was backwards but it looks fine now. It was like that for two hours and I was getting worried. While I'm here I was wondering what to do if a ducklings nostrils look closed?

[​IMG]

He was born like this and breathes out of his mouth.. His nose had dried blood on it when he hatched.

Thanks again! :)

4. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Hrm! Okay! Glad it seems to be okay!

I'm not sure on nostril blockage.

5. MandBducks

MandBducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016

One of my little lings has a deformed bill and no nostril holes. Yours will probably be able to eat better as her bill looks quite normal (other than no nostrils). I would keep an eye on her, if she starts having trouble gaining weight or eating separate her for some meal times so she can keep up.

6. sarahhof

Sep 19, 2015
    I'm already making sure he's eating and drinking, thanks! His eyes also seem to be a little wet around them, and he's always making a gurgling sound. You can see his heart beating in his neck and it takes him a long time to drink. He is also always tired. I don't know if he is sick or not, he is only a day old..

7. sarahhof

Sep 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

I came home and PLEASE HELP! He still ate and drank but I had to feed it to him. I'm giving him save-a-chick right now.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  8. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Had he not eaten at all while you were out?

9. sarahhof

Sep 19, 2015
    I don't know but he is very weak and just stands there most of the time. His poops are only a tiny thing of foam, and when I give him water it bubbles in his mouth.

10. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Wait, this is the duck that hatched a day ago? It may not yet need food or water yet.. let it rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by