Duckling not doing well

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckieduck, May 5, 2017.

1. Duckieduck

Duckieduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    I had three ducklings sent for Metzer farms last Wednesday and sadly, one of them died the following day despite me doing all I could to help it. Metzer farms sent me two more ducks that arrived this Wednesday evening, and one of them is doing really badly too. Its about half the size of it's traveling companion and its eyes are only half open. II have been feeding it by hand and giving it water in a pipette and I gave it a tiny bit of sugar. Its companion is in with the ducklings from last week and doing amazing. The baby is not good. I have it in with the other ducklings but under a little basket so it is still near them but not getting stepped on. What can I do to help it??

2. Duckieduck

Mar 4, 2017
    PS. they are indian runners

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Try hand feeding wet food ..I always start mine on a soupy mix of feed....It just possibly needs a bit more help?....Hope that helps...Peep to it and you might need to brood it separately till tomorrow and give it more attention?...Ducklings are sensitive and was possibly removed from a buddy?...
    Hang a mirror if you separate it...They love themselves...

Best wishes...

4. Duckieduck

Mar 4, 2017
    Thank you so much for replying. Im really worried about it. Its been 2 days and no sign of getting any stronger. I am feeding soupy food. I only have one heat blanket so have been putting it with the others but under a plastic basket so they can all get the heat, but it won't be hassle - but maybe the others are strong enough now without the blanket. Its pretty hot in la now. I'll find a mirror too, and try peeing, it cries all the time and can hardly hold it's head up or stand. Its very sad.

5. chickens really

Horrible...:(
    Try heat from the top and not the heat pad...not all can handle heat pads and get too hot..Heat lamp actually is better..:)...Sorry it's failing but I do think this one needs less heat...:)

6. chickens really

I have raised many, many Ducklings and only ever use a heat lamp and always sparingly...Meaning, only as warm as they are happy....:).....
    They require the ability to escape the heat...Cool area without heat...Then you know what temp is working?......

Best wishes.....:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by