Duckling Not Gaining Weight

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dotknott, May 23, 2016.

1. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I have a hatch of ducklings from the weekend of 5/14. The runt of the hatch isn't keeping up with it's hatch mates.

For example:
    http://herouxpotager.com/ducks/2016-09 - Up 3.5x its weight from hatch.
    http://herouxpotager.com/ducks/2016-07 - Up more than 4x its weight from hatch.

This duckling:
    http://herouxpotager.com/ducks/2016-11 - Still under 100g at 7 days old.

They're on Purina Flock Raiser starter and a B Complex multivitamin + Nutri-drench.

This evening, I'm going to sit down and try to hand feed this one, since I'm really not sure that it's eating at all... though someone is eating are since I have to keep refilling the food.

I haven't given them any treats yet, and I had only been providing dry food, though this AM I made a wet mash in hopes that it may just be a dry food issue.

Any ideas other than what I've already tried/plan on trying?

2. MandBducks

MandBducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    My little one with the beak deformity wasn't gaining any weight until I tried feeding her mashed eggs. She is now up to almost 6 ounces when she was previously three.

I mash an egg and add some crumble and water and then hand feed her.

I hope you get some other responses because I would still like to put more weight on my little one. I was almost wondering if GroGel would be appropriate.

3. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Crumbs! I might have to buy eggs! My layer is on a brooding strike and I'm egg-less! I just set the last of my eggs in the 'bator this AM!

You cooked the eggs I assume? boiled? scrambled?

4. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I boil eggs and feed them to my ducks. Take the shell off and chop them up and put a little grit on them. That is very good for them and should add some weight to the little one. I would pull the little one out and let him eat by himself. That way you can see what he is eatting and not having to compete with the others.

5. MandBducks

Apr 18, 2016
    Yup, I boil them and then mash them really well.

6. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Thank you all! I'll keep this thread updated as I have updates!

If anyone has a different suggestion, please feel free!

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  7. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    I had a duckling last year that stayed tiny and I gave it to a vet tech so he could try to figure out what was wrong. The duckling has a smaller heart than normal. It was slow to grow and slow to feather but it is doing fine as far as I know. I am not sure if she ever caught up in size or if the heart condition will shorten her lifespan.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @dotknott

What has been suggested sounds worth trying. I wonder if some vitamins with probiotics might help - could the digestive flora be missing something?

Just brainstorming.

9. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I tried a scramble egg/starter/water mash with no luck. I kept the ling out for about 30 mins trying to convince it to eat, with no luck.

Put the scramble mash in the main bowl in the brooder and they others seemed to like it quite a bit.

I'll weigh the ling this am. Maybe it is eating when I'm not looking.

10. MandBducks

Apr 18, 2016
    Darn, that's worrisome. Someone suggested I try mashed eggs with applesauce if mine wouldn't go for regular mashed eggs. Might be worth a try?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by