Duckling not gaining weight

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stevenb1229, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Stevenb1229

Stevenb1229 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    Hi anyone who will see this, I have a Magpie duckling that I've had since feb. 22 for a Biology project. She gained a lot of weight from her initial week however she gained very little for her last week check up. If anyone has suggestions to what is wrong or what I can do please, reply.

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and [​IMG]! What are you feeding her, and has anything in her environment changed during the time you've had her?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @Stevenb1229 - did you subscribe to the thread?

Welcome to the Duck Forum! Is she a single duckling? Is she pooping okay? Are you using a book or some guidelines for her care?

4. Stevenb1229

Stevenb1229 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    @FoodFreedomNow
    Im feeding her duckling grain 26% that was provided for me but the place where we got the ducks gave us 18% chick feed medicated so i dont know if something happened to her, everyone else's duckling switched and were fine.
    And we just moved houses but i didn't think it would have an effect on her.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. Stevenb1229

Stevenb1229 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    Yes she is a single duckling, she is pooping just fine just as usual, and i am using guidelines provided from my Biology teacher.

6. Stevenb1229

Stevenb1229 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    In the group of ducklings our class had gotten from Naylors, 2 of the 3 pekins have recently passed suddenly. It was so sad.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give her some extra B vitamins and electrolytes, and get her to a vet or at least have a fecal sample analyzed by a vet.

There is a sticky (link in blue at the top of the Duck Forum) with Raising Ducklings information - you might want to look that over.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by