Duckling not growing like her sisters

TracyZ

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 18, 2014
Hi group,

I have 7 ducklings that are now a little over a week old. 1 was very weak to begin with, she is now more active, eating and drinking (she seems to get distracted while eating) but she is not growing as much as her sisters. I'm thinking maybe since she gets distracted that she isn't eating as much, I take her out and feed her separately. Is there anything else I should be doing to help increase her weight and/or get her to eat more?

Thanks,
Tracy

Hi group,

I have 7 ducklings that are now a little over a week old. 1 was very weak to begin with, she is now more active, eating and drinking (she seems to get distracted while eating) but she is not growing as much as her sisters. I'm thinking maybe since she gets distracted that she isn't eating as much, I take her out and feed her separately. Is there anything else I should be doing to help increase her weight and/or get her to eat more?

Thanks,
Tracy
Welcome to BYC.. getting her by herself to eat will help as long as she doesn't get stressed being away from her flock, also some good quality poultry vitamins in her's and actually all the ducklings water. Poultry Nutri Drench is a good one and you can find it at TSC. Love to see pics of your babies when you get time to post.

Thank you for the information. They are actually all on vitamins. I have been putting the vitamins in their food instead of their water since their water seems to go all over and not just in their mouths, it seems more so than the food. Is it better to put them in the water than in the food, the label said to add to food or water.

She doesn't seem to get stressed being away from her flock and in fact loves to be on my lap, actually all of them love to be on my lap and will try to jump out of their pool to get to me (their pool isn't filled with water yet, but just filled with straw and where they get to hang out when they are in the living room).

I attached a couple pictures, the first was their first day outside, they got scared and immediately ran and climbed in my lap. The second is with their big brother Rocco, a Doberman mix that is an extremely gentle dog. They all seemed to really like Rocco too and after a second trip outside aren't afraid.

Thank you for the information. They are actually all on vitamins. I have been putting the vitamins in their food instead of their water since their water seems to go all over and not just in their mouths, it seems more so than the food. Is it better to put them in the water than in the food, the label said to add to food or water.

She doesn't seem to get stressed being away from her flock and in fact loves to be on my lap, actually all of them love to be on my lap and will try to jump out of their pool to get to me (their pool isn't filled with water yet, but just filled with straw and where they get to hang out when they are in the living room).

I attached a couple pictures, the first was their first day outside, they got scared and immediately ran and climbed in my lap. The second is with their big brother Rocco, a Doberman mix that is an extremely gentle dog. They all seemed to really like Rocco too and after a second trip outside aren't afraid.

They are adorable, as long as she is eating good and running around like all the rest I wouldn't worry much, she may always be smaller then again she may hit a growth spurt and catch up, just do what your doing. and please watch your dog he maybe very gentle but all it would take is once. Keep us updated on how they all are doing but especially the littlest. and as for the vitamins as long as you can get it mixed well in their food and all of them are eating it then putting it in their food is fine.

Thank you that's very helpful. Yes, Rocco only gets to be around the ducks if he is supervised and calm, he is so big he could easily accidentally hurt them, and he definitely doesn't get to be around them if we aren't right there.

Thank you that's very helpful. Yes, Rocco only gets to be around the ducks if he is supervised and calm, he is so big he could easily accidentally hurt them, and he definitely doesn't get to be around them if we aren't right there.
I have a gander who loves ducklings /goslings and he accidental stepped on one of our ducklings a couple years ago and killed it. Since then I keep my dogs and geese away from my ducklings when they are tiny it's just too easy for them to get stepped on.I'm a worry wort.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom