Duckling or egg incubation?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sonja1018, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Sonja1018

Sonja1018 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    Texas
    I have a single 2 week old duckling and I'm looking to get him/her a friend. Qwackerjack was hatched here and is bonded with us.
    My questions:
    Should we get a duckling or incubate another egg? A week or two old duckling would be easiest & most immediate solution. But since Qwackerjack is human imprinted and fellow duckling most likely not, would that be an issue? Would incubating/hatching an egg be better? By hatch, there'd be 6 weeks difference in age. Would that be an issue for ducklings?
    I'm actually leaning towards another duckling but wanted to get advice or opinions on my options.
    THANKS

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    6 weeks would make a big difference you wouldn't be able to put them together for a while because of age and size difference you'd be better off getting a duckling close to Qwackerjacks age slowly introducing over several days and before you know it they'd be best pals. and the new addition may not be as friendly as Qj but it would follow the leader and eventually you'd win it over. [​IMG]

3. Sonja1018

Sonja1018 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    Texas
    thank you Miss Lydia, I was thinking along the same lines. [​IMG]
    Now I have another question I hope someone can help me with. I don't know if Qwackerjack is male or female. I would hate to get the opposite and end up with a yard full of ducklings to re-home.
    Is it ok to keep a single Swedish cross with a single Muscovy. They won't breed, right? Will they get along or does Q need another duck-duck as a friend? Do all muscovies have the caruncles?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Of course you can keep a Swedish cross with a Muscovy, if one is a drake the other a duck they will mate and their off spring will be sterile But easy to remedy no ducklings is to remove eggs daily, I am doing this this year with all my flock ducks and chickens since my space is maxed out so no ducklings or chicks. All full blooded Muscovys have carnucles the drakes of course more than the ducks. Ducklings can get along no matter what their breed as long as they have been properly introduced. They don't care what breed they are. You could of course give Qj some time to grow a bit before adding another duck, by 10-16 weeks you should know by the quack if you have a male or female

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by