Duckling pic :-) Breed, sex?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tdgill, May 11, 2011.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

HI folks,
    I need your opinion. I ordered 2 buff ducks, 2 cayuga, 2 welsh harlequin and 2 blue swedish sexed females. These are my first ducklings :) See the two in the middle? I imagine those must be my buffs but look how different their bill colors are. One is a flesh tone and the other is more orangish...Is that common among buff ducks (or did I get a different breed by accident or is one a drake maybe?)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. tdgill

just for fun here's some more pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quality can vary alot from hatchery ducklings. You may just have a utility strain of Buffs. Out here In Australia - I would expect that a buff would have the colour beak that your Harlequins do- But they look very light in colour in their down as well. If any " accident' was made in your order - I would be thinking from what I can see- that you didnt get WH- but Pekins instead. Time will tell- it wont be too much longer before the first few feathers start to grow and you will get a better idea of what colour they will turn out.

Edited to add comment about added photos-

In the 2 extra photos- you can see more colour in the down- the order could well have been as you ordered.

4. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    I've never had Buffs so I can't help you, but I wanted to say all your ducklings are adorable and I love the photos!

5. tdgill

everyone had to see what was in the vase....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my tote hotel for ducks. Three totes connected....

thanks to both of you for your interest! and Durham ducks, looking forward to an update on your blog! I love your picture of babies and your pond oxoxoxoxo!

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Hi there, the two with the lighter colored bills look just like my buff ducklings, and the two with the gray bills look like my Harlequins. The grayish ones are the swedish, I don't have any of those but I have in the past.

And of course the black one is a cayuga. I have 4 of those right now : ) I thought you said you ordered two of them, but why do I only see one in the pictures?

7. kthankzbai

kthankzbai Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    tdgill,

i must say i'm really impressed with your duckling hotel (;

I will be using your idea once my ducklings hatch!

Thanks for the pictures!

8. tdgill

duckyfromoz, love your runners and pages!

learycow, sorry to say that one of the cayugas didn't make it.

Kthankzbai, glad you like it! I like most that the one tote is clear (and I think the babies do too) that I can see them when I am sitting here and they get to see out also. I have little cardboard bridges to go between the totes - underneath the towel (easier on little feet I think) but still quite a mess to deal with. I think the poop factor is in direct relation to the cute factor! good thing huh?

9. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a pic of my Buff duckling, she has a pinky/bluish tinted bill if that helps at all
    [​IMG]

10. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Quote:I have to agree with learycow regarding the descriptions of the breeds. Very cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by