Duckling pics! New pics and update pg. 3.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Featherland, May 30, 2010.

1. Featherland

Featherland Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    This is the one that we are not sure what it is. Its down is yellow with some gray, its bill is dark gray and its feet are gray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the other ones are fawn and white Indian Runners but am not positive. They all were in a mixed bin and came from Estes Hatchery.
    You can see that the dark billed one seems to have a slightly different body shape. It usually doesn't stand quite as tall as the others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swimming fun! You can see the dark billed one is wider. Could it still be a runner? They are 12 days old in these pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Looks like 3 Fawn and White Runners and a Welsh Harlequin! [​IMG]

3. maralynn28

maralynn28 Songster

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like a WH to me. [​IMG]

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    I had a couple last year in my group of ten WH that looked just like that. I know they normally have more dark coloration, but I had a few in the group that were almost solid yellow before they began to feather out. That bill color to me though is one of the main reasons I said WH.

5. looks like my splash swede!

6. CityChicker

CityChicker Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    You know, I bet you're right, chickensducks&agoose! When I first looked at the pics, I thought that it could be a Silver Runner color wise, but the size looks wrong in the picture looking down on the ducklings. Now that you mention Splash Swede, if you look in one of the pictures from the side, you can see a very faint line of what is probably a bib. I didn't even think of that as a possibility. You are probably right though.

7. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Songster

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    i think it looks like a welshie...that what mine looked like at that age and it looks like that ones back is starting to turn black and thats exactly what happened with mine...the backs turn black first...

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    it could be a splash swede... i dont think its a WH

9. Featherland

Featherland Songster

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    The back is getting slightly darker in the past couple of days. What exactly does a splash swedish look like grown? Can you sex them by color?

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I think you can the splash swedes i've had were color sexable....its a theory of mine that you can bill sex swedes if this is true idk. I've "hypothosised" that if they hatch with a spotted or yellow bill that it is male....if it hatches with a black or navy colored bill it is female....idk if that is true but it seems to be right at least with my line of ducks. you can find a picture of a splash swede on feathersite....i used that picture of a 4H poster last year or i can dig up pictures of mine....

[​IMG]

you can see him in the very back....

i've heard that there is a difference b/t silver and splash....but idk

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by