Duckling pip but hasn’t broken through egg

dperrott3

Hatching
Mar 26, 2023
So I have a few questions.. We are hatching ducklings for the first time- 4 of the eggs have pipped but only one has made any real progress and they all pipped on Friday, it’s now Sunday… and then we have an egg that pipped upside down, his beak is out but should I turn him over?

So I have a few questions.. We are hatching ducklings for the first time- 4 of the eggs have pipped but only one has made any real progress and they all pipped on Friday, it’s now Sunday… and then we have an egg that pipped upside down, his beak is out but should I turn him over?
For the baby that made the pip under the egg
Yes turn the egg so that pip is facing up
Also if he has missed the air cell he will take longer to hatch from his external pip
48-72 hours
For the others what do you mean they made pip
Internal or external ?

For the baby that made the pip under the egg
Yes turn the egg so that pip is facing up
Also if he has missed the air cell he will take longer to hatch from his external pip
48-72 hours
For the others what do you mean they made pip
Internal or external ?
We turned the one that popped upside down.. they’re all external pips … if I could figure out how to add pictures I will 😅

99D1D242-A745-41F3-8451-279F81622914.jpeg

These are all 4 eggs

Attachments

• B84E3D33-A958-46B1-A9D1-011F4BBC2C64.jpeg
    B84E3D33-A958-46B1-A9D1-011F4BBC2C64.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 7
  • B1DA496B-68A6-4992-9C89-333F8839AF64.jpeg
    B1DA496B-68A6-4992-9C89-333F8839AF64.jpeg
    324.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1279A5C6-57D0-4F14-890E-5B85E45B65D0.jpeg
    1279A5C6-57D0-4F14-890E-5B85E45B65D0.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 7
We turned the one that popped upside down.. they’re all external pips … if I could figure out how to add pictures I will 😅
When you reply there is a button called attach files
That’s where you add pictures
If my babies don’t make progress in 24 hours I will make the hole by the pip bigger to see what’s going on
Did they all pip internal then external ?

When you reply there is a button called attach files
That’s where you add pictures
If my babies don’t make progress in 24 hours I will make the hole by the pip bigger to see what’s going on
Did they all pip internal then external ?
I figured it out and put pictures of all 4 eggs … the one that has the beak out was the one that was upside down and he’s still yawning and chewing so I think he’s absorbing his yolk still … I think they all internally pipped also

I figured it out and put pictures of all 4 eggs … the one that has the beak out was the one that was upside down and he’s still yawning and chewing so I think he’s absorbing his yolk still … I think they all internally pipped also
Egg one has made a big hole in one area this usually means baby isn’t in the correct position to zip and hatch
He may need help
If he was my egg I would pick shell off making his zip for him
Check for veins and if all is good continue till the cap part can come off then see if he can push himself out
Egg 2 was the one that hit under
I mark my air cells so I know if they hit inside or outside of it
Hard for me to say on that one but he is chewing so let him keep going
Egg 3 looks like it hit the wrong end ( pointy end ) these babies when missing air cell take 48-72 hours. He maybe able to hatch himself but if he isn’t making progress after 48 hours you can remove a little and check for veins
Last egg is zipping towards the end of the egg and not around like he should
Most likely has a foot/ leg over his head and can’t turn
Again I would help this one if it’s been over 24 hours from his first external pip
Do a zip around looking for veins and if nothing continue same as first egg

I will add. Coconut oil is great for checking for veins on membrane
I use a Q tip to rub it on
I only use my fingers to break the shell as I found tweezers nick the membrane
If you see big veins still then stop and wait longer
Vaseline is better at keeping the membrane moist

Egg one has made a big hole in one area this usually means baby isn’t in the correct position to zip and hatch
He may need help
If he was my egg I would pick shell off making his zip for him
Check for veins and if all is good continue till the cap part can come off then see if he can push himself out
Egg 2 was the one that hit under
I mark my air cells so I know if they hit inside or outside of it
Hard for me to say on that one but he is chewing so let him keep going
Egg 3 looks like it hit the wrong end ( pointy end ) these babies when missing air cell take 48-72 hours. He maybe able to hatch himself but if he isn’t making progress after 48 hours you can remove a little and check for veins
Last egg is zipping towards the end of the egg and not around like he should
Most likely has a foot/ leg over his head and can’t turn
Again I would help this one if it’s been over 24 hours from his first external pip
Do a zip around looking for veins and if nothing continue same as first egg
Thank you ! That was very helpful

Back
Top Bottom