Duckling possibly poisoned - too much salt - urgent

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by puppies9099, Oct 17, 2013.

1. puppies9099

puppies9099 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    I have a muscovy duckling this morning it fell in a bucket of rock salt and now it is acting plain dumb it twirls in a circle doesn't walk or swim right I gave it fresh water but it just won't perk back up.I gave it apple cider vinegar but that only helped a tiny bit so what can i do.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would get it into water up to the top of its legs and not leave it alone for a moment, see if you can keep getting it to drink steadily - but not too much, too fast. You might consider calling a vet, if this is sodium poisoning all kinds of bad things can happen. I don't want you scared, but this may be really urgent.

How old is the duckling?

Also, I would change the title of the thread to Duckling Probably poisoned - too much salt - need help.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old is this ducklings? could it have received a head injury when it fell in? sounds like one. I wouldn't put it into water while it is like this it could drown, keep the little one somewhat contained too so it doesn't get hurt. a teaspoon of acv into a pint of water for drinking may help but sounds more like a vitamin dif. which means 100megs of niacin into a gallon of water till 10weeks old,. unless it's a head injury.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I looked up salt poisoning and this seems to be a possibility, too. I would not leave the duckling unmonitored, but think it may be extremely dehydrated.

Ducklings sometimes eat things they ought not.

How long was it in the bucket of salt?

Here is an article for vets on salt poisoning. It says not to try to rehydrate too quickly or there could be swelling. I hope someone who recognizes this can see this thread and help figure out if this is even a possibility here.

Wanted to add that we don't know exactly what is wrong, it could be head injury, poisoning, or something else.

Miss Lydia has good sound advice for keeping the duckling somewhat confined so it does not hurt itself. I would be watching it closely, and trying to encourage it to drink, even holding a cup of lukewarm water up to its bill, dipping its bill in to try to get it to drink a few times every hour.

If you can contact a vet, do so right away.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. puppies9099

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    Sorry I have not been responding but it died later that day it kept twirling and we put as much water down it's throat but then it was sitting next to it's sibling and it went crazy so I started rubbing it like you would do for a mammal it went crazy about 6 times the last time it was for about 13 min. then it starting reaching for things with it's mouth and then it died (REST IN PEACE ANGEL THE BABY DUCKLING) so that's what happened and the duckling was 3 weeks old

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So very sorry.

7. puppies9099

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    Yeah I know what you mean the loss was horrible but I, know its in heaven

8. Miss Lydia