1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jordanlybeck, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Jordanlybeck

Jordanlybeck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2016
    I have a pair of ducks one mallard and one what I was told was a Rouen. The hen was laying up a storm so I decided to put some of her eggs in the incubator. Fast forward to today when they all hatched. To my shock only a few of them look like the little chipmunk ducklings I was expecting. What do you think would cause them to be completely different than their parents?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am not a genetics expert. But a thought occurs to me. One or both of them could have a little of another breed, or sometimes there is variation in coloring.

I have Khaki Campbell (I was told) but she is a little heavy for a KC and has the Rouen eye stripe, so I am guessing that of her four grandparents, three were KC and one was a Rouen. She is gorgeous.

3. Jordanlybeck

Jan 5, 2016
    Is it possible to get cross breeds from the feedstores? Since they get them direct from hatcheries?

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Cute ducklings and handsome looking ducks.

Your drake doesn't look like the typical Rouen drake. What did it look like as a duckling? Do you know what hatchery they're from?

5. Jordanlybeck

Jan 5, 2016
    Not sure which hatchery he came from but he looked like any other Rouen duckling.

6. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Hmmm Well he could be a mix or maybe a mutation, like Amiga said. The marks on top of the yellow ducklings' heads remind me of Appleyard ducklings. I hope you post update photos for us. I would love to see what they look like as they grow and as adults.

7. Jordanlybeck

Jan 5, 2016
    He kind of does resemble an appleyard a bit he never fully goes out of eclipse plumage I thought it was a bit odd. He and the mallard were in an assorted duckling bin at the feedstore.

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

I think your Drake is a Welsh.....He looks a lot like my Welsh Drake....Also Ducklings do not always have the same coloured down even in Pure breeds....You will have to wait till the feathers come in.....

Very sweet little Ducklings.....

Cheers!

9. Jordanlybeck

Jan 5, 2016
    That does look a lot like him!

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yep.....That is my Boy D.W.....Imprinted on me and still loves me.....lol.........I am his sunshine....My Boy...He has Hens and Comes running if I quack.....He hangs out at the back door....9 months breeds my Hens and I have his eggs from a hen in the incubator waiting to hatch....I am so excited to have another Puppy as sweet as him......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by