Duckling Question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stormhorse23, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    My duckling is perfectly healthy. Eats, drinks, chirps, and lovse to snuggle with me, BUT he always seems to have water all over his nose. Is this normal for ducklings? Thanks

2. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Sounds normal to me. I'd only be worried if it had runny "nostrils." Maybe s/he wants to take a bath? If you are careful and keep the little one warm afterwards, you could let it loose in a sink or bathtub. (Just keep an eye on it and take it out before it gets tired.) Then you'll really have a fun time! [​IMG]

3. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    It is actually WATER coming from his nostrils. He is allowed to swim every day and loves it. It isn't like...um, for lack of a better word...snot. it is more like water. Doesn't seem to bother him, though.

4. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Ducks clean their nostrils with water, so that is probably what you are seeing.

5. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Ok. Great! I was worried my little Poet was gonna die or something! Thanks

6. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Aww, so his name is poet, that is a great name. And it won't matter if he turns out to be a she. [​IMG]

7. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Or wait, do you already know for sure that Poet is a he? Did you order a drakeling?

8. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I dont know. I ordered a male and a female but one died in shipping. I'm looking for a companion for him right now. I named him/her Poet because I love poetry! It works for meh

9. crazyapple

crazyapple Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    I'm curious where you were able to purchase just two ducklings. I'm trying to order a small flock and can't find anyone who will sell me less than 15.

Crazyapple

Creating our urban homestead

10. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Great name. Hope you find him a buddy soon. I'm hoping to find two ducklings at our local stores when they get their chicks. I know of two places that will have them in a few weeks. I just hope they have what I want when I am able to get there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by