Duckling seems...off, somehow? Sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilverPhoenix, May 20, 2010.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Hello everyone!

I have a black swedish/rouen duckling who is almost four weeks old, and I've noticed a change in his behavior the last two days. He's limping slightly but I can't find any swellings or anything wrong with his legs, and he seems reluctant to walk. He also seems quieter than usual, and while he still has an appetite he's not eating as much as he was before. He also has a patch of wet around his vent, although his poop appears normal. I'm not sure, but he seems like perhaps he might be a little hotter than usual (a fever?). As a note, he is not seriously lethargic, just quiet and spends more of his time than usual lying down. He'll follow me for a while, and then he lies down and hangs out there. I just feel like perhaps this is the beginning of some sort of sickness (or that something is wrong with his legs), and was wondering if anyone else has familiarity with these symptoms.

He is not in with other ducklings or chickens--in fact he lives in a large storage tub in my room. He's on Flock Raiser and gets lettuce and other greens fairly regularly. He is imprinted to me and is my big baby, so I would be devastated if anything happened to him.

Anyone have any ideas? I know it might be a bit premature with not many symptoms so far, but I figure it's better safe than sorry. I can run out to the feed store and put him on some medication if other duck people recommend it. I would really appreciate some input!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have found some of my ducklings will go through a stage of temporary leg weakness when they are living in a small environment. At that age he could be out side walking around more- BUt he may not be getting much excerise in the brooder tub- try getting him outside to run around more- and see if excersice will help to strenghen those muscles.

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Oh, that's a great tip! Thank you so much! I'll take him out more. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by