1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duckling seems to have no balance

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cainsie, Jun 10, 2011.

1. cainsie

cainsie New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    We had 5 khaki Campbell ducklings hatch on the 3rd of June. 2 of them needed our help as they were stuck and the membrane was drying on them. We just peeled it back a bit and let them get out themselves. Weren't sure if they''d make it through the night as they were very weak but one was perfect (couldn't actually tell which duck it was as it got out and joined the other 3!) The other one seems to have no balance at all. It always leans to the side and falls over. We looked online and the closest thing we've found is Stargazing but it doesn't actually. Look up before it falls. Other than that it eats and drinks great and can get to where it wants to go and is very active. Has anyone heard off this? Any ideas what we can do?

Edit

We have him on bits which include b and niacin. He's been on them since Monday. And is on chick crumbs. Non medicated.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Hi, welcome to the forum. Although I haven't experienced this in particular with my ducks, I have read that the ducks who have some trouble hatching can be a little delayed developmentally. It is perhaps something neurological that duckling will outgrow. It sounds like you are doing what you can, but maybe others on the forum will have some ideas.

3. cainsie

cainsie New Egg

Jun 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by