Duckling Showers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    I want to let my ducklings in the shower with me so that they can splash around, but I'm worried that the soaps will be bad for them. What do you guys think? Thanks![​IMG]

2. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    you can fill it up and they can swim like in a pond but not too cold not too hot! i dont think its a good idea to take a bath with a duck..... soaps could hurt them

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    if you do let them splash around in the bath tub don't let them around soap. The soap will wash all the waterproof oils they put on when they preen.

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I don't think that would be a good idea. The soap could hurt them, you could accidentally step on them, they might be scared of the water coming down so hard and fast, and they will poo in the water your feet are in, which is no really in the spirit of cleaning yourself [​IMG] . So I wouldn't do that. [​IMG]

5. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Alrighty-Thanks guys! No showers for my ducklings...

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think some people have had fun outdoors in warm weather with lawn sprinklers turned on real, real low, just a few inches of spray. Mine were not impressed with a sprinkler, though. They like their concrete mixing pans.

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Mine were bathing in warm water for the first 2 weeks, then in low tubs with regular water for anther week. They then graduated to kiddie pools, which happen to be in an area with inground sprinklers. They have learned to move to other areas when the sprinklers where on in that zone and move back once the sprinklers are done. Now they are over a month old and actually like the inground sprinklers. The put themselves in front and shake their wings and move with the sprinkler heads. Quite funny to watch. Eventually they have enough and move to a dry area to preen themselves. They are so pampered.

Today Shadow was quacking and almost screaming so I can over to find out what was going on. There was a small bird in their pool drowning. I rescued it and praised Shadow for letting me know. Smart ducks.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    All of mine love the sprinkler. Here is an old video from last year...

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I had some young ducks wandering around nearby when I took a shower to cool off in summer up at my block of land- I have an outdoor bathroom up there... They came running as soon as they saw the water!! Luckily I wasnt using soap- so I could let them stay and play- They loved it... It was so cute seeing them turn their little beaks upwards trying to catch the drops of water on the way down.

10. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    My husband would get in the shower with the scovy when she was itty bitty. She didn't like the water and would get all poopy and needed to be cleaned off. No soap. He just kept her company.

He took a bath with her once...and ONLY once. That was before he knew how nasty duckpoop is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by