duckling 'slobbers'/drooling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trailhound, May 22, 2010.

1. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    I have a batch of ducklings (1-3 weeks old) that was out and about free-ranging today with their chicken mamas. I noticed this evening that they had strings of slobber drooling out of their mouths. They were outside, not under a light, with unlimited access to food/water. I did notice that they ventured into the front yard and into a clover patch for the first time today. I know that horses can get 'the slobbers' from clover- does this happen to ducks as well? Should I be worried? All seemed well, everyone was active, eating, drinking as normal.

Thanks for the help! I hope to one day become someone who can offer advice instead of just asking for it all the time!
    Andrea

2. jujubean99

jujubean99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    This same thing happened to my ducky a couple weeks ago, I thought he was puking or something but then he spit it all out, had some water and has been fine. I was worried too, but I would also like to know what causes this

3. pardygwyn

pardygwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    I've had that happen to my ducks before when I fed them especially large slugs. Curious to hear if anyone has any input on your particular situation, though.

4. trailhound

trailhound Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Well, they all seem to be fine so whatever it was, worry was for naught! I hadn't thought of slugs...

Thanks for the help!
    Andrea

5. AmberH

AmberH Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    My babies did that too. I was carrying them and was slimed. lol
    They're 7 weeks now and haven't done it for a while. I'd like to hear someone's reasoning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by