1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling source of sexed birds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WadeMD, Jan 12, 2010.

1. WadeMD

WadeMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    Is there a quality hatchery with decent selection that will sex the birds prior to shipping for day olds? I know my wife is going to get heavily attached to any more I get and since I am looking for eggs and bug/weed control, I would rather not have to process and freezer any drakes. I will if I have to, but I would prefer not to... so...

Anyone know of a hatchery that'll sex them for a little bit more?

Thanks

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

It depends on what you mean by quality. If you're just looking for a healthy pet duck, then you can't really go wrong with Metzer Farms.

3. WadeMD

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    Thanks. Not looking for show quality, sorry if that was confusing. Just looking for healthy, well packed/shipped ducklings.

Anyone had experience with McMurray Hatchery? They price out sexed birds according to their website and have a good selection.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    For what it's worth, I looked around and found Meyer's Hatchery. I have seen no negative report on them, some positive reports, and decided to buy 14 female Indian runners (chocolate, black, blue) from them this spring. They have a 90% guarantee, so I would expect no more than one or two (if we round up [​IMG]) drakes, and that would be okay for me.

Perhaps there are some on this forum who have bought from them. I would love to hear from them, too!

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I got my Welsh Harlequins from Metzer. Healthy little buggers when they arrived. Cute little brats now that they are all grown [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Who's the fatty speckledy one in the first picture? She's beyooooootiful.

7. WadeMD

Dec 16, 2009
    near Frederick, MD
    Thanks all! I totally missed that Metzer will sex them for $1.35 more. And yes, I expect ~10% might be errors, thats a given with any poultry thats not sex-linked.

Cheers!

Oh, and great pics!!!!!!

8. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I ordered 6 cayugas and 6 khaki campbells from meyer. I would definetly go with them, they only got one sex wrong. Plus, they are of okay quality, maybe not show, but pretty darn good. Meyer's customer service is great also, definetly go with them....here are their birds...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh forgot about the black east indie...here he is from meyer's
    [​IMG]

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Who's the fatty speckledy one in the first picture? She's beyooooootiful.

That was Bebe, my little mermaid [​IMG]. She used to hop in the water bowl EVERY TIME in the brooder and make a huge mess. Unfortunately, she became part of the food chain due to a hawk [​IMG] The Welsh Harlequins really have a lot of personality. Bebe was the "baby" of the group and spoiled rotten [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bebe, you are missed [​IMG]

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    1lpoock, thanks for the encouragement. Ohio is my adopted home, though I am currently on a long sojourn in New England. I first became interested in Meyer when I saw that they are in Polk County. I did some looking, and spoke to a person there. Things felt right, so I took the plunge.

I appreciate you sharing your experience with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by