Duckling space

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    How much space per duckling should I have in the brooder?

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    As much as possible. I don't know the exact number of sq ft but ducklings are super messy and its a battle to keep the water under control. They also grow insanely fast. I've gone through my 3rd brooder upgrade and they are 6 weeks tomorrow. They are now in a large kiddie pool (the one with the slide). I have 4 ducklings if that gives you an idea.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  3. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Question:From your last few posts I'm guessing your getting ducklings... What breed?

Answer: I usually put my ducklings in a storage container with wood shavings on the bottom and food and water. Probably will fit 4-7 ducklings.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Yes, I am. I will be getting 3-6 khaki campbells.

5. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    That should work... why is it a 3 duck difference? Where are you getting them... or are the hatching from one of your ducks?

6. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    You can start with a tote but they will outgrow it in about a week, sooner if you have 6. This kiddie pool lasted from 4 days to 5 weeks. The first pic is when tben first went in and the second was taken a few days ago before they were moved. It wasn't even staying clean for 24 hours so they outgrew it about a week ago. Ir was just too cold to move them into the garage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is their new brooder till the weather warms up. They are 6 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

You can use whatever you have on hand. For me we have kiddie pools because I have small kids and picked a few up off of Craigslist. I just hope the pics can give you an idea of how quickly they grow and some different options you have.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Oh my the grow so fast!! I have chickens so I expected rapid growth, but not that rapid! :) The 3-6 is because I can only get them straight run. (Unless I want to pay $70+) So I will be getting 6 and hoping for at least 3 females. The rest I will be giving to a friend. I may keep one drake...how many females to 1 drake? (Am I using duck terminology right? ;) )

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    3-4 ducks per drake is usually the norm

9. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok, thanks! My ducks will not be living with my chickens, but they will be free ranging with them. I've heard that some people have problems with their drake hurting a hen because he tried to mate with her. Should I be concerned about this?

10. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I think if you have enough females it shouldn't be an issue but it's something to look out for. Straight runs are had to say if you will get 50/50 or more males. They are suppose to be the natural ratio but my last 2 I got were straight run were all male and that seems to happen quiet a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by