Duckling Stargazing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by west1992, Apr 24, 2019.

1. west1992

west1992 Hatching

Apr 24, 2019
    Hi, We have a mixed flock of Ducks and Chickens, One of our Hens hatched a Duckling 3 days ago, all is well other than this Duckling is from what I have researched is Stargazing,
    She can hold herself up, and even run but when it comes to eating or drinking she chucks her head back and sometimes even flops over, we have left her with hen to see if she improved but she doesnt seem to be, we have now brought her inside and just wondering what we can do for her? I have read that vitamin B could help but is there anything else? Her neck seems rather crooked.
    Thankyou!
    (As you can see on one photo she can sit normal but not for to long)

Attached Files:

FoodFreedomNow and casportpony like this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I noticed it's a crested Duck. Possibly neurological.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Welcome to BYC! You could try giving it 1/4 ml of the vitamin b complex for cattle orally and see if that helps. I have treated two chicks and one duckling this way and it worked for all three.
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex
    Screenshot_2019-04-24-06-26-06.png

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Harley Chick and FoodFreedomNow like this.
  4. west1992

west1992 Hatching

Apr 24, 2019
    Thankyou I will grab some of that for her today! She is having "poultry drink" but im not sure on if that is any use! She can eat and drink and is mobile then occasionally she will just lose control, kind of looks as if she is fitting, I then hold her for a minute and she calms down,
    Do you think she will have any chance of a quality of life if it is Neurological?
    Thankyou

casportpony likes this.
  5. casportpony

If it is neurological and not a vitamin deficiency, I don't think their is much than can be done. As for quality of life, I guess you will have to decide what you consider a good quality. Is a vet an option? Don't worry if it isn't, it isn't for me, just thought I should ask.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  6. west1992

west1992 Hatching

Apr 24, 2019
    Hi, Thanks for the Advice, Vet is definatley an option will be trying her on vitamins and getting her booked in

chickens really likes this.
  7. casportpony

How is your duckling doing?

8. west1992

west1992 Hatching

Apr 24, 2019
    Hi, she seems to be improving! She is alot more mobile and seems to only lose control when she is drinking or startled, we took her to the vets and they adviced Vitamin B also or to euthanize her (which I wont be doing) We have come to terms that she may have to be a house duck. Thankyou

Attached Files:

casportpony likes this.
  9. casportpony

Well that's great news that she is improving! Like you, I have a crested one, and it too is on vitamin b and showing improvement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: