Duckling starter food...where do I find it??? Calif.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsWright, Dec 26, 2008.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    Hey there....I just had 7 ducklings hatch on Christmas eve. They are doing great, but my local feed store only has medicated starter for chicks, they insist that it is fine for the ducklings and it is what they use every year and never have a problem.
    I have tried searching on the internet but it will end up being $60+ for a bag of mazuri duck starter from the mazuri website.
    Does anyone have any recommendations of where to find some duck feed??

2. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Miss Prissy told me to never give ducks medicated feed. They will overdose.

3. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I got my non medicated chick starter from Agway

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

As long as the only "medication" in the feed is Amprolium it's fine to use. I use medicated Purina Start & Grow and have raised lots of duckling on it over the years with no problems.

5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    TSC = tractor supply co, carries it. its a yellow bag with a duckling on it.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Or try looking for Game bird starter.

7. There are both medicated and unmedicated chicken and flock starters from the major producers. You can usually request unmedicated from your feed store if they carry other products from that producer. If they won't do it, are there any other feed stores in your area at all?

I know you need something right away, does anybody know if she used oatmeal and liquid vitamins for a few days if they would be alright.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    If they hatched on Christmas eve, and you had em in the bator for almost a month. why are you looking for feed now?

9. MrsWright

Nov 15, 2008
    I had bought some feed from the local feed store. It is medicated, the people there siad that the ducks would be fine eating it and they always use it.
    So of course I bought it, then while I was researching, I noticed that everyone says to feed un-medicated feed. They are still doing great on the medicated starter, I just want to get them on proper food.

Thanks everyone, I will check out tractor supply after the holidays.

10. MrsWright

Nov 15, 2008
    I had bought some feed from the local feed store. It is medicated, the people there siad that the ducks would be fine eating it and they always use it.
    So of course I bought it, then while I was researching, I noticed that everyone says to feed un-medicated feed. They are still doing great on the medicated starter, I just want to get them on proper food.

Thanks everyone, I will check out tractor supply after the holidays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by