Duckling stuck- do i help??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by badenglisch, Apr 15, 2019.

1. badenglisch

badenglisch Chirping

Oct 23, 2018
    Iowa
    20190415_095839.jpg 20190415_100335.jpg I'm not entirely sure what happened here, but this little guy is trapped inside the egg, looks like the membrane dried out and kind of shrink wrapped him in there. I know it's typically not advised to assist the hatching process, but is there anything i can do? It's still moving around and i've seen the other ducklings kind of pick at it, but i don't imagine it'll be able to get out of there by itself. I'd appreciate any advice!

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    Watching the incubators
    Is your humidity staying stable? I try for at least 70% at hatch. Based on my incubation experiences, if it's truly shrink wrapped, it likely won't be able to get out on its own.

Here's a thread on assisting shrink wrapped ducklings; see the post by @Amiga - there's a video that may be helpful. @Pyxis also posted this article on assisting.

If you do assist (and I would in the case of a shrink wrap), follow the instructions and go slowly...you may find after pushing that membrane back that it's not ready yet. Best of luck!

3. Jpat

Jpat Crowing

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    Thats good advice in the slowly! If you see veins or yolk just stop and look again in 3 hours

When the veins are "done" they are as thin as threads and have no blood

4. PaulX

PaulX Songster

Nov 15, 2018
    Was the shell your doing?

In any case I can't tell from the photo whether it needs assistance, but if you do assist, it's not that hard, just tear and peel off the membrane gently and slowly. If you see blood, stop. Otherwise keep going. Do make absolutely sure the yolk is absorbed before going at it though!

5. badenglisch

badenglisch Chirping

Oct 23, 2018
    Iowa
    I *think* my husband may have picked off some shell last night, but i didn't witness it. Humidity says 68% on the incubator. I sprayed just a little water on it and it appeared that there were still "active" (red) vessels there so i'm really hesitant to mess with it. And i have no idea about the yolk.

WannaBeHillBilly and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Is the Duckling struggling to get out?..If so it's easy to pull it out quickly from incubator and assist the end it should be coming out of. All others can be put in Brooder.

WannaBeHillBilly and happy duck like this.
  7. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    I see some have already hatched but what day is this. Has your temp been staying stable? What breed?

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  8. badenglisch

badenglisch Chirping

Oct 23, 2018
    Iowa
    These ducklings are either full pekin, pekin/ blue swedish, or blue swedish/khaki Campbell. I think my swedes produce more eggs, so 3 out of the 4 that have hatched are grayish/brown with some patches of yellow. Temp has been stable as far as i know (this is hubby's area so I'm not certain on all details) and none of the others have had issues. This is my little stuck guy as of last night. Hubby tried to help him but he saw blood and stopped. This morning, however, i don't see the blood anymore and i see more of his down and less "goo" so hopefully today we can get him out of there! 20190415_213955.jpg 20190415_214056.jpg
    Top is last night, bottom is the first 2 babies. 2 more gray ones have hatched since.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "Be Strong in the Lord"

They are adorable :fl for the one in the egg!

10. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    How is he today?

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: