Duckling surprise!!!!! Road trip hatch pics.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Jan 21, 2010.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Since August my Pekin duck Crumpet has been laying- and sitting- and breaking her eggs- and laying and sitting ...........- All the while I have also been incubating some of her eggs as well. Last time she started sitting I didnt record the date- and when she got down to her last two eggs in the nest- I took them and covered her nest as we also had a forecast for extremely hot weather, an her nest was in a particularly bad area on hot days.

I had just gone to bed- it is 1am here- and then I remembered I hadnt checked the eggs tonight. Well I am certainly glad that I did as I found one of the two eggs has a little beak in the airsac. [​IMG] [​IMG]

My best calculations said that they werent due until next Wednesday.. I must have been wrong.
    Hope I see two pip holes in the eggs by morning.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Congrats and I hope the little babies make it! Also, how old is the pekin? I was thinking of getting Sunny a mate...not now, but someday. She flattens her self out every morning she sees me now. Makes me think she's a little lonely and wants love. [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Crumpet is not far off three years old now. She had hatched out a few ducklings over the last few years. Usually she only gets broody twice a year- but this time- she must be very determined to have babies.

4. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    How old should they be to mate?

5. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    awee yay for crumpet. are you going to give her babies back?? lol

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I will hand raise these ones, and let Crumpet sit on the eggs she is laying at the moment.

AS far as a breeding age- it can be dependant on seasonal factors as well as age, but the majority of my ducks have all been laying by 30 weeks old, some quite a lot sooner.

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    How are the babies doing? [​IMG]

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I am at work now- so I have to rely on updates from my daughter- but nothing new to report- They are soooo slow sometimes arent they?????

9. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    My daughter just rang to say she sees both eggs cracked now.... YAY some progress!!!!!!

These are my last for the season- so in some ways I dont want them to hatch yet- as they will be the last babies I have for 6 months. But there is also part of me well and truely ready to turn off the incubtor for a while.

10. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    aweeeeee

soooo i take it you can come on this site from work???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by