duckling swimming restrictions

trouthat

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Are there any restrictions to how long I should let my duckling swim. It loves to swim but I dont know how long is too long for it. Any answers would help.

Being only a wek old. I would only let him swim for maybe 10 mins at a time, but not unattended. I let mine swim in the tub once a day but I never leave them, they tire out quickly.

I don't fill the tub more than they can stand in. It's deeper at one end, so they can swim and stand. I also use warm water. The important thing is not to let them catch a chill from getting cold. Mine swim and kinda bathe themselves while I clean out there box. I also turn the heat on in the bathroom. Then I dry them off as best I can, then straight back into a warm brooder box. I have mine set up a little differently than most. Instead of a heat lamp, I put a heating pad under it, they all cuddle together on it. It works for us.

I started with just a small baking tray that they could stand in. They still use that and are full grown. I think they just want to get in some water. They don't care how deep it is. Our temp. was 20 degrees this morning. I looked out and they were all in the water! See my website if you want to see my tubs :)

Back
Top Bottom