duckling swimming restrictions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trouthat, Apr 5, 2009.

1. trouthat

trouthat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Are there any restrictions to how long I should let my duckling swim. It loves to swim but I dont know how long is too long for it. Any answers would help.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    How old is your duckling?

3. trouthat

trouthat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    We think it is around a week old

4. Deedee

Deedee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Kilgore, TX
    Being only a wek old. I would only let him swim for maybe 10 mins at a time, but not unattended. I let mine swim in the tub once a day but I never leave them, they tire out quickly.

5. DarkWingDuck

DarkWingDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Meville
    Just keep an eye on him and take him out if he starts looking tired or stressed.

6. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    I don't fill the tub more than they can stand in. It's deeper at one end, so they can swim and stand. I also use warm water. The important thing is not to let them catch a chill from getting cold. Mine swim and kinda bathe themselves while I clean out there box. I also turn the heat on in the bathroom. Then I dry them off as best I can, then straight back into a warm brooder box. I have mine set up a little differently than most. Instead of a heat lamp, I put a heating pad under it, they all cuddle together on it. It works for us.

7. Jazzymond573

Jazzymond573 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    WI
    what temp should the bath be?

8. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I started with just a small baking tray that they could stand in. They still use that and are full grown. I think they just want to get in some water. They don't care how deep it is. Our temp. was 20 degrees this morning. I looked out and they were all in the water! See my website if you want to see my tubs :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by