Duckling throwing up water??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JessaLynn, Apr 3, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I just got our Pekin ducklings and one of them has thrown up water and not sure if that's normal or not because this is our first try with ducklings.Any ideas? They all seem fine (active,eating,drinking) [​IMG] Here's a picture of my daughter holding "Donald" her pet Pekin duck
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    I've nver had ducks but I remembered reading the below at the Ideal website. Maybe they drank too much water at once? This is from the Ideal website...

Q. My ducks came in fine and suddenly started dying.
    A. Ducks will water log easily. Give them water for about 15 minutes and then take it away for about 15 minutes. Repeat this about 4 times. Do not let them run out of water though.

How are they now?

3. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Seem fine but I'm gonna try that just as a precaution.Thank you!!!! [​IMG]

4. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

They will do that if they drink too much and too fast - I have had them do that when they get started or scared. [​IMG] Should be just fine. [​IMG]

5. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I did notice they run over to the water real quick when they get spooked.I have my chicks and ducks in the same brooder right now.There only 2 days old and was wondering should I seperate them?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  6. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

I keep mine together until the ducklings start picking at the chicks. They are just a lot messier than chicks [​IMG] more cleanup [​IMG]

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    you probably should. that's what i've always done. it always give the ducklings a little bowl of water to swim around/play in after a week or so.

8. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I have the oppisite problem.My chicks are bullying the ducks.They keep pecking at them in the eye.That's why I was considering seperating them.

9. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    if they are eye-pecking it's best to separate them. what mean little chicks!

10. JessaLynn

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    It's just my Barred Plymouth Rocks that are doing it.The other chicks aren't.Crazy little peeps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by