Duckling to be alone temporarily

julz802

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2018
We live in the city with 4 backyard chickens and had 2 ducks (all female), but one of the ducks was recently killed. The other duck took it hard for weeks, and it was heartbreaking for my kids also. I called the feed store to learn that they would have ducklings in this Friday. My plan is to get one duck to raise solo until I can put it with the rest of the flock. I let my others free range often and I live in FL (so we don't worry about the lack of heat) so I was thinking we could let the little one out in an enclosed area so it could get used to being outdoors and the older girls can check her out. I'd prefer not to add anymore because of the rules I have to abide by... Technically, I'm not supposed to let them free range so I want to keep the number down to where I can keep a head count easily. What do you think?

Thanks! Nice to meet you :)

I have been looking. Maybe that would be the best option. My hesitation has been that it would be at least an hour drive (probably more) to the closest one unless I get lucky (and so far, I haven't). Also, the kids are excited to raise a duckling.

If they really want to raise a duckling I think you should get two. It's been my experience that a lone duckling will peep constantly.

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that. In the end, I guess the quacking level of 3 wouldn't be much different than the 2? (I'm always trying to be as courteous a neighbor as possible although no one has ever complained)

Back
Top Bottom