Duckling to early??

Courtneync

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2018
Hello, I'm new at this please bear with me. I have a duckling who should have hatched before now. We are on day 30 and the others have hatched. This one had pipped internally we helped it along last night just a little bit since it had been almost two days. They have all struggled with hatching I'm wondering if I went wrong somewhere and maybe the eggs cool down and that's why I'm having such a late hatch? But this one chick seems to be shrink-wrapped and so I'm using wet water and a Q-tip to keep her membrane from drying and it's not helping much. I started to assist again this morning but as I go further it almost looks like there's still some yolk left like she hasn't absorbed at all there are still a little bit of rounded vain. I will see if I can figure out how to attach a picture. But I'm worried about the shrink wrapping! I really don't know what to do!

Attachments

• 1521199934026996906113.jpg
    1521199934026996906113.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 18
That's not looking very hopeful. In my experience, these little ones rarely survive, at least not more than a couple of days. I would remove the membrane, however, as long as it's not bleeding, you can go ahead and remove it.

Also, I take it you are new at hatching. Please realize that this sort of thing happens all the time. Many times there is nothing you could have done to prevent it. So, do the best you can, and don't be too hard on yourself.

Did you use an incubator or a live bird to hatch?

Back
Top Bottom