Duckling toy ideas!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PekinDiaries, Feb 22, 2015.

1. PekinDiaries

PekinDiaries Chillin' With My Peeps

We have two Jumbo Pekins, about a week and a half old. I've been searching for toys for my little bugs, and found nothing but wigglie worms and stuffed animals. So I decided to try one on my own! I had made them diapers out of socks (a tutorial that I found here on BYC). The first set of socks I bought were too small, but I had already cut one up. So I was left with a whole bunch of colored socks with nothing to use them on. I had an idea.
    A Floofie!
    [​IMG]
    I cut the socks into strips, got all of the excess fuzzies off of them, and then sewed them together in a little ball.
    [​IMG]
    They love it![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And they play tug o' war with it too! [​IMG]

(We obviously only let them play with it when they are supervised)

Does anybody else have home-made ideas for toys?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a neat idea, and those 2 littles are adorable.

3. PekinDiaries

Thanks so much! They love anything that they can get their beak on. Im contemplating going to the goodwill or something, and getting them some stuffies for their brooder. They are about to upgrade to a stock tank in the garage, and I dont want them to be lonely without me constantly checking on them every 5 minutes. I might play some nice, soft classical music for them out there.

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    One thing Wobbles loves is ANYTHING crinkly! We found a cellophane cat toy that he just adores. He also likes to chew o hair ties, so we combined the two into a sort of loopy-crinkly toy with three hair ties bound together. It's his favorite thing on planet Earth.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good will is a great place to find stuffies I just toss them into the washing machine, dry and reuse and then when they are able to go out side I pack them all up for the next time.

Last babies I had inside were 2 gosling and they loved stuffed animals I found a really nice soft big bear and they would snuggle up under neath it it was so cute.
    For their water time I bought one of these [​IMG] they loved it and I keep it in their big pool now they will take it and toss it around . What ever you get them make sure they cannot swallow it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Be careful with any stuffed animals, Wobs loves to pick apart the fibers that make up the soft fuzzy outside and tries to eat it!

7. PekinDiaries

Ooooo! I'd never thought of the crinkle toys! I'd heard of people using cat toys with bells, but not crinkle. Thanks!

8. PekinDiaries

And thank you Miss Lidya! Good Will is my first stop.. as soon as this blizzard stops. [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yep that's why once they get older mine get put up. but they are great for babies.

10. tatswell

tatswell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Southern New England
    I put a few small stones inside an empty water bottle as a toy and they pooped on it and buried it in the straw [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by