Duckling unable to stand

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hannah6j, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Hannah6j

Hannah6j Chirping

Jan 17, 2019
    Hi, I have a baby duckling, one day old, who is unable to stand up. He’s really active and moving around but more pushing him self along on his legs than walking and his legs go to the sides or behind. Please help! Is this normal or is there a problem? Thanks!

2. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Crowing

Aug 14, 2018
    USA
    My Coop
    Could you post a picture or short video of his funny walking?

casportpony likes this.
  3. Hannah6j

Hannah6j Chirping

Jan 17, 2019
    It’s not letting me add a video for some reason?
    We added a small elastic band to his legs a few hours ago (as from what I’ve read splay leg is possibly the issue?)...with the band on he instantly flops forward onto his stomach and just kicks his legs behind madly, unable to move other than wriggling. However, we have just taken it off and he’s standing and walking so much better already, on his feet not his legs like before, so have put it back on.
    Is there a reason he cannot walk with the band on? Horrible to see him flopped down but the band seems to be working...

casportpony likes this.
  4. Hannah6j

Hannah6j Chirping

Jan 17, 2019
    Have also brought some Niacin to add to their feed or water

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi there! To post a video on BYC you first need to upload it to YouTube, Vimeo or similar. Then copy the link to the video and paste it in your post. Hope this helps and good luck with your duckling :fl

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Might just take a bit of getting us to. Make sure the band isn't too tight and that his legs are in proper position under his body.

BullChick and casportpony like this.
  7. Hannah6j

Hannah6j Chirping

Jan 17, 2019
    Thank you! It doesn’t seem too tight but i’ll try losing and see if it they improve. Fingers crossed!

8. Miss Lydia

:fl

casportpony likes this.
  9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I feel it's a good sign that he can move his legs at all! Hopefully he will gain some strength as he starts eating real food instead of relying on the yolk. Do you know if he had any problems with hatching?

10. Miss Lydia

I’d also make sure your ducklings are getting adequate niacin which is very important for healthy leg muscles. Chick starter doesn’t have enough.

casportpony likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: