Duckling under broody, not mom

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jdywntr, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    So my muscovy hatched 1 duckling about a week ago. Its mom has apparently decided that warming 1 duckling just isn't worth it and she keeps perching on top of things leaving baby alone. Yesterday I went out to check food and water and couldn't find the baby anywhere. I thought somehow it got out of the coop and looked around for a dead baby. I went back in the coop and looked in on my broody muscovy who is due to hatch in a week and she had a little friend in with her.

The baby stays with mom at night and mom sits in the nest but during the day I guess she isn't to keen on it. I just checked and baby is tucked in with the broody again and its mom is perched on top of the tote used for a nest.

Anyone know if this will interfere with the incubation? Since it's a single I don't want to bring it in and TSC hasn't had ducklings since it hatched.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    We that is something! mind you, i noticed a bit of shared duty with the last clutch here BUT Lilly wasn't having it and would quickly put an end to another duck "adopting" the ducklings.

Curious to hear input from others. I suppose on the good side, at least it is doing well, you still cold? we are... -8C that is the high.. ugh.

3. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Poor baby.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Still cold. Had snow Friday and Saturday. Baby has been with the broody all day. I opened up the coop to check and mom made a beeline for the door while baby followed the broody back to the nest. Who knows? I just don't want my broody to decide she is finished because there is a baby. I'm going to have to keep a close eye on them. Even the older ducklings (3 month now) leave the baby alone when it goes running from adult to adult looking for someone. I guess I should count myself lucky that everyone seems so tolerant. I don't know that I'll let Pink brood again though it may have been okay if she'd had more than 1. At least my black/white broody seems like she may be receptive to fosters. So I'm hoping TSC gets some Pekin in soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by