Duckling voices...can you tell already?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by classroomducks, Nov 4, 2009.

1. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I know that when they start to quack you can tell the females from the males. But i was wondering if you can tell at a week or so? I have a couple of babies that do not peep hardly at all. One in particular is so very calm, and tries to snuggle up into my hair. He never peeps and is just such a love bug, and is quickly becoming my favorite. I have a couple of other babies that all they do is scream...two in particular. I mean i pick them up and PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP non stop until i put them down or they are with a buddy [​IMG] . I had no idea such a loud noise could come from such a small little body. Are females more vocal already? I have pekins and mallards. Thanks.

2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    When mine were little I couldn't tell the difference between the two. When I picked them up both would peep bloody murder...most ducks just aren't cuddly animals. [​IMG]

3. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Just wait till they get a little older. The peeps carry from an acre away. If they get startled I can hear them in the house with the windows closed. Silly ducklings.

I don't think you can tell. One of my ducklings is 19 days and just starting to get a little quack in her peep.

4. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Ok thanks...wasnt sure. I guess they are just screamers! My principal came in the other day...she says I thought you were cooking them or something I could hear them in the office!...which is two doors and a hallway away...! so much nosie from such little bodies...and man you guys told me they stink....but holy cow. They are staying pretty dry, but they are going through a whole bowl of food a day. At some point can I only give them food and water during the day? How old can I do that? I knew at some point Id have to clean them 2-3 times a day but i didnt think itd be at 5 days old lol. But i guess I do have 8 of them...so maybe thats the problem...who knows? lol. They sure are cute though!

5. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 little one that were born 10-24 and one is very quite, and the other one thats all you hear is her, 24-7, well i'm saying its a her, because her mom never shuts up either, lol

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:We've discussed a few times the age at which you can let them go without feed. There were a minority that say they do it at a week, but if I remember correctly, the majority thought 3 weeks was the youngest.

Regarding the stench. When you were talking about how many ducklings you were going to have, my eyeballs just about bugged out of my head. Oh, it's going to get much much worse.

7. classroomducks

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    yep i know! but i thought i had a few weeks before it got bad. Oh well live and learn! We are going to give them some water to swim in today and hopefully they will go diving and wash themselves off a bit...they have been playing in the an inch of water for the last few days...so it should be fun...

8. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Stinky stinky ducklings. I couldn't handle the smell in my house anymore after five days, and I only had three of them!

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

With my call ducks, at around 4ish weeks old, I can tell who is who. The female ducklings will have a very loud peep, and the males a softer quieter peep.

10. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

what really makes them smell is the food getting wet, it almost has a sour smell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by