1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling waterer ideas...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cluckintexan, May 1, 2017.

1. cluckintexan

cluckintexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2017
    Joshua, Texas
    I'm up at 2:30 am posting this for some ideas. One of my ducklings managed to get stuck in and flip over the water container. I got a plastic container and put a couple holes in the lid like I had seen suggested. Maybe it's just mine... but I think I need a different set up... any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I am trying to figure/picture what kind of water container you are using that a duck can get stuck in?? I use a deep(probably 2"+) baking pan---probably 9x12" with a grate(a piece of one of these--link below)-- ) attached across the top. They can stick their head/beak in to drink but can not get their body in. Have to rinse it out daily but works good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Quality...917366?hash=item361514c7b6:g:9CYAAOSwB-1Y1VUu

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  3. 6sablehens

6sablehens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    For ducklings an old paint tray is great! It has a deep end and a shallow end so they can get out easily.

4. cluckintexan

Apr 30, 2017
    Joshua, Texas
    It was an old Parmesan cheese container I had. I think what happened was they grew faster than I thought and one duck was drinking and another tried to hop up on the container and it flipped onto the drinking duck. I made one out of a milk jug, but I'm thinking this is trial and error at best...

5. cluckintexan

Apr 30, 2017
    Joshua, Texas
    I have space issues right now, but the paint tray is an awesome idea.

6. 6sablehens

Mar 27, 2017
    Yeah, they tend to knock their water over easily.
    If there isn't enough space something like a paint tray, maybe you cold put something heavy in the bottom, not just to stop it from falling over, but so if one falls in the water container it could use it as a step to get out.

7. GooseFanatic

GooseFanatic Just Hatched

May 1, 2017
    My ducks are no longer small enough to consider them ducklings lol but I just use the bottom of a old rabbit cage for the water. I have three in use first is a big deep one that is out in the outside part of the coop, second I have a long medium depth one in the coop and last on the other side of the coop (my coop is split in half one side for the bigger older animals and the other side has a heat lamp with a small shallow water trey for new comers (any chick, gosling or duckling I see and fall in love with at the store lol) u do have to wash them out everyday as they can get in them and tend to poop in them but my birds are happy and healthy so I don't believe it to be a problem as it's dumped and cleaned every day rain or shine.

8. cluckintexan

Apr 30, 2017
    Joshua, Texas
    The milk jug seems to be working. I had to mess with the size of the hole, but they have safer access to water now. I'll probably go find some rocks to put in it for weight just in case lol. I do not want a repeat of this morning. I'm just thankful my mastiff is such a protector, he started freaking out when the ducks did.

9. 6sablehens

Mar 27, 2017
    That's good! Haha our dog loves baby ducks or chicks.

For older ducks we use a plastic pool / shell for them to swim in which we refill often. We used to use a horse feed or water bucket as well which is good because it's deep enough for them to clean their beaks and it doesn't seem to fall over.
    They now get to drink all the chickens water every after noon when we let them in the run. It's a small container we just refill it once they have gone to the pen for the night.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  10. cluckintexan

Apr 30, 2017
    Joshua, Texas
    He's very excited and curious about them. I let him smell them as I carried them outside for the afternoon. I'm still looking into other options for my squeaky toys, as my 4 year old calls them, so that they have plenty of water safely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by