thatoneduck1029

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2019
hello i got a 3-4 week old mallard duck, i realized her feet was peeling i looked it up and it said it was normal, but now the web between her toe dried up on both feet and fell off. i dont know if that is normal? she acts like her normal self.

hello i got a 3-4 week old mallard duck, i realized her feet was peeling i looked it up and it said it was normal, but now the web between her toe dried up on both feet and fell off. i dont know if that is normal? she acts like her normal self.
Hi @thatoneduck1029 :frow Welcome To BYC

I don't know much of anything about Ducks, but will tag in a few people that may be able to help you. Some folks may not be on until later today, so in the meantime, if you can post some clear photos of your duck's feet (and of her too!) that would be helpful.
Also tell us (or show photos) of how she is being kept and what type of food you feed.

@casportpony @Miss Lydia @CayugaJana @Cayuga momma

Hi @thatoneduck1029 :frow Welcome To BYC

I don't know much of anything about Ducks, but will tag in a few people that may be able to help you. Some folks may not be on until later today, so in the meantime, if you can post some clear photos of your duck's feet (and of her too!) that would be helpful.
Also tell us (or show photos) of how she is being kept and what type of food you feed.

@casportpony @Miss Lydia @CayugaJana @Cayuga momma
thank you, i will post pictures once i get home from work.

Attachments

• 41A66F11-FC94-41D1-886A-074553B92B72.jpeg
    41A66F11-FC94-41D1-886A-074553B92B72.jpeg
    429.9 KB · Views: 11
  • FFC265DF-D210-4045-8C75-003CD310A893.jpeg
    FFC265DF-D210-4045-8C75-003CD310A893.jpeg
    468 KB · Views: 11
  • EDB5EAD1-30CC-4738-B9E8-45DD14053193.jpeg
    EDB5EAD1-30CC-4738-B9E8-45DD14053193.jpeg
    466.1 KB · Views: 10
It looks like some kind of erosion is happening to your duckling's feet. What kind of bedding do you have in the brooder? Is it changed regularly? The info that @Wyorp Rock requested would be helpful.

This thread has a recommendation for soaking the feet in an Epsom salt solution (bumblefoot treatment, see @Miss Lydia's post). Since the condition seems to be escalating, beginning treatment ASAP will be important.

It looks like some kind of erosion is happening to your duckling's feet. What kind of bedding do you have in the brooder? Is it changed regularly? The info that @Wyorp Rock requested would be helpful.

This thread has a recommendation for soaking the feet in an Epsom salt solution (bumblefoot treatment, see @Miss Lydia's post). Since the condition seems to be escalating, beginning treatment ASAP will be important.
i clean her bedding everyday right now i am doing doggie pads then putting newpaper on top of the doggie pads.

i clean her bedding everyday right now i am doing doggie pads then putting newpaper on top of the doggie pads.
I use pine pellets and large flake pine shavings in duckling brooders because they help absorb the moisture. I'd rule out the newspaper as a potential cause of the irritation/damage - you could try just using the doggie pads (in conjunction with treating her feet) and see if the condition improves.

I use pine pellets and large flake pine shavings in duckling brooders because they help absorb the moisture. I'd rule out the newspaper as a potential cause of the irritation/damage - you could try just using the doggie pads (in conjunction with treating her feet) and see if the condition improves.
thank you i will make a stop at the store later today.

Back
Top Bottom