duckling whistles like a cowboy !!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by deanna&rich, Sep 6, 2009.

1. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    We adopted two unwanted ducklings, who are just starting to get their adult feathers now. They act like Siamese twins, totally bonded and mimicking each other in an adorable way.

The smaller gray-and-white-spotted one started quacking three days ago, so I guess she's a she (she's busy, louder, more assertive and will eat big slugs). (We call her Shadow)

The larger white one, I assume is a Pekin ... THAT duck whistles !! Loud and long and medium pitch ... a rather pretty sound, though. It's not like anything in the site that Wifezilla suggested for sexing by voice. Sunshine, as we call her/him/it, is mellow and lets Shadow eat first/ swim first/ adventure first.

Do you think Sunshine will be a drake ???

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Sounds like a drake if "it" lets shadow eat/swim first.

3. 1duckychick

1duckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Really? My drakes always plod on through my females to get to the food dish first. Apparently chivallry's dead in my flock!

1 person likes this.
  4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I think I know what you mean by a "cowboy" whistle - it's a pretty sound, almost like one of the songbirds in my backyard makes, slightly reminiscent of a dog-whistle. I've noticed some of my ducklings do it when they're startled - such as when a hawk flies overhead or someone slams the patio door - like a warning signal.

Anywho, all of my ducklings who made that whistling sound have turned out to be drakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by