duckling wing injury?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katiecandi, Oct 28, 2016.

1. katiecandi

katiecandi Just Hatched

Oct 18, 2016
    California
    hi!! :) i cant tell if one of my ducks is just growing faster than the other or if her wings are injured because she pecks at them a lot and shes losing some feathers! also when she lays down her legs sort of go out to the side and she doesn't like to swim that much! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Does she walk normally? She looks within the range of normal to me from the photo's.

Ducklings sometimes mature at very different rates.

3. katiecandi

katiecandi Just Hatched

Oct 18, 2016
    California
    yeah she walked normally! sometimes she waddles a lot but most of the time she walks exactly like the other! i was just worried about her wings being hurt cause they look so red! but they aren't bleeding so I'm guessing she's just losing her feathers so her new ones can grow in! maybe her legs are growing too cause she sometimes has them out to the side or stretches them behind her, she's silly lol[​IMG] she's the one laying down :)

4. katiecandi

katiecandi Just Hatched

Oct 18, 2016
    California
    [​IMG]
    now she walks then sits down like this after a few steps...

5. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll stretch their legs out when they're lying down sometimes, but your description makes me wonder if her legs might also be weak. Do you supplement their food with niacin? It's important for proper leg development.

6. katiecandi

katiecandi Just Hatched

Oct 18, 2016
    California
    i have never heard of niacin... ive been feeding them chick starter cause thats all the people i got them from recommended! where can i get niacin and how much/ how do i feed them? thank you for telling me!!!

7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed mine chick starter, too, and add brewer's yeast to it to provide the niacin they need. You can buy brewer's yeast at health food-type stores. Here's a link to a BYC thread with more info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ies-in-goslings-ducklings-growth-leg-problems.

Since your duckling is already showing possible signs of deficiency, I'd get her started on niacin supplementation right away.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that chick starter is high in protein and high protein may cause or contribute to angel wing. I lower the protein level in my ducklings' feed when they're 2 weeks old and haven't had angel wing problems since. While it's possible to correct the condition, it's better to avoid it. There are numerous threads on BYC on the topic like this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1137818/angel-wing.

Best wishes for your little ones.

8. katiecandi

katiecandi Just Hatched

Oct 18, 2016
    California
    thank you sooo much!!!!! oh my gosh!!

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It may be mentioned in that other thread, but Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks recommends 100 to 150 mg plain niacin per gallon of drinking water for a couple of months. I have seen it recommended to use plain niacin, not no-flush or timed release.

I added plain chopped rolled oats to the turkey-waterfowl starter, because its protein was higher than Storey's Guide recommended. If you know algebra, you can figure out how much oats to add to the other feed to get the percentage protein you want.

10. katiecandi

katiecandi Just Hatched

Oct 18, 2016
    California
    okay i'll do that! thank you for your help!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by