Duckling with a cold?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jbrownie80, Apr 1, 2017.

1. jbrownie80

jbrownie80 Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Pocatello,Idaho
    I have a approximately 2 or 3 week old duckling with a cold. He or she is breathing heavily and almost wheezes. He or she also seems to sneeze a lot and almost cough. I read about placing them in the bath with warm water to clean out their nostrils so I am trying that. I am also going to pick up some nutria drench to give to the ducklings I have and the chicks to ensure no one is ill. This little one also has a crooked beak. Any other suggestions on what this might be or how to help my little duck?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @jbrownie80 it sounds like it maybe a respiratory infection can you go to a vet sounds like antibiotics might be needed?

There is also a product called VetRX that is for poultry and may help her breathe better. But it sure sounds like upper respiratory.. Make sure if you do put her in warm bath that you only let her stay In the water while it is nice and warm then pat dry and place right back under heat lamp so she doesn't chill. Nutri drench is a great product .

3. jbrownie80

jbrownie80 Just Hatched

Mar 23, 2017
    Pocatello,Idaho
    My daughter let them play in a warm bath for awhile. She said they did not really swim, but dunked their heads and played. She also said that the duckling wasn't making the sound anymore, and seemed happier. I will still purchase some nutria drench and look for the vet rx also. I am going to check on him when I get home and see how he is doing. Then if the duckling still sounds bad I will take her to a vet. I feel like I am probably over reacting about it due to this being my first flock and the fear of losing one. My son also said that they looked and sounded ok so I may just be overly worried.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully that is the case. It's like having new mommy jitters. lol Most of us can relate to that.

Let us know how she is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by