Duckling with a goopy eye

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stanui, May 4, 2009.

1. Stanui

Stanui Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    One of my ducklings (about a week old) has an eye that is just a little bit mattery. I noticed it yesterday, but just thought it had been into some kind of a mess. Today I looked at it a little more closely and discovered that it is kind of "goopy".

I took a wet cloth and gently wiped the eye area. After a few hours I checked on it again and it is still a little 'goopy'.

Is there something else I should be doing? What do you think would cause this problem? Would it be contagious to the other ducks?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wonder if the eye has a minor injury. You probably wouldn't be able to see a scratch on a cornea. I'd put some antibiotic ophthalmic ointment in it a couple or three times a day for a few days. It is for sale at the local feed store around here.

I am certainly no expert, have never even owned a duck, but seen plenty of eye injuries in people. At least it should be more comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Mine had problems with their eyes after a difficult hatch (humidity problems, etc...). I cleaned their eyes for a couple of days with some saline solution. The duck that made it is fine now. I was worried it would be blind, but no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by