Duckling with bruised foot?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Madaline706, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Madaline706

Madaline706 Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    I have 2 3 week old Pekin ducks. The one was able to keep up with me really well but recently the smaller one was a little bit behind. A couple days ago I noticed she had trouble getting up and would lean to one side before trying to stand. Then yesterday she struggled to get up at all. She would not use her left foot at all and it would just hang there. She limps on her right leg and gets around by hopping. I noticed that her foot looks bruised, a brownish purple color. I'm not sure if she got hurt running around in the yard. But what should I do? She seems like she's in pain and she wants to keep up the pace with the other duck. Any help would be gladly appreciated.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Madaline706 are you giving your ducklings any extra niaicn in the form of Brewers yeast, nutritional yeast or plain niacin ? Pekins especially can have leg issues and most of the time it's due to fast growth and not enough vit B3. Chick starter doesn't have the amount our ducklings need so we have to supplement. Could your duckling gotten it's foot stepped on by accident. You say keeping up with you what do you mean by that? I know alot of folks think it's so cute to get their ducklings to run after them but it's also an easy way for a duckling to injure it's legs. Duck legs are not made to run they are not real strong. I'd keep your ducklings in a small area where this lil one can get some rest. Still enough room where it can get up and walk around some but not running around in a back yard. Use the Nutritional yeast sprinkled over their feed to give them the extra niacin they need and also supply some good poultry vitamins to their water. At 3 weeks old they are still pretty young and need time to rest since they are putting so much energy in to growing right now.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711
    Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Madaline706

Madaline706 Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017

Thank you for responding. I have been giving my ducklings brewers yeast since the beginning. I let the ducks follow me such as when they are outside. I always walk slow to make sure that they don't hurt themselves. But this little one has recently been slower than usual and can't really keep up with her Sibling. The other duck is significantly larger than her for being the same age. Maybe he/she stepped on her leg and caused her to be that way? She might have tripped on something while she was outside.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    is the one having trouble crested? we ask this because crested ducklings do have a rougher time of it. Some do some don't. it is possible the bigger duckling may have run over the litter one it happens. Hopefully with some rest and some extra nutrients There is a product called Poultry Nutri drench that is great to help slower ones get on their feet better. I know TSC carries it. maybe add that to their drinking water along with the BY.

5. Madaline706

Madaline706 Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    She isn't not crested but thank you very much for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by