duckling with crooked neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jancvit, May 15, 2011.

1. jancvit

jancvit New Egg

May 15, 2011
    I am new to all this.....I have 6 chickens, and I also have a pair of mallard ducks, and a pair of pekin ducks. I had another female mallard, she had a nest with 12 eggs, but a week before they hatched, she was killed by something. I put the eggs in an incubator and 5 hatched on May 8. One has a crooked neck. It can walk around, and can eat and drink, but has a little difficulty. If i hold it, i can straighten the neck out a little, but it goes right back into the side position. I will try to paste a picture. I bought the poly vi sol vitamin drops and began giving them to it on the 12th. I also got some vitamin E. I give the drops in the morning and in the evening.....a couple drops each time. I am not sure how much is actually being swallowed tho! Is there any thing else I can do...like make a splint or brace? or will that harm it more? Please help with this! thanks! [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    so sorry you lost you duck and now one of the ducklings is having problems, here is a link with many questions about simular problems maybe one of them will help you know what to do for the wee one i hope so. img/smilies/welcome-byc.gif" alt="welcome-byc" />">https://www.backyardchickens.com/search-forum.php?cx=partner-pub-9473214521653913%3Abil3pz2p90m&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=what+to+do+for+a+crooked+neck&sa=Search&siteurl=www.backyardchickens.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fpid%3D6419330%23p6419330#1090

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. bananakaygirl

bananakaygirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2012
    Texas
    I've been telling some people that you can give a bird with crooked neck gatorade or polyvisol.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by