duckling with deformed beak, and lots of smelly gas...

quack_chick

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2022
Hello. My call duckling has a deformed beak, lots of gas, stands all the time.... looking for any ideas about what to do. Pics of Mugsy attached....
1. Their was a piece of beak missing and it only had 1 nostril. It has become worse and very scissor looking.
2. Mugsy has lots of smelly gas that it passes frequently.
2. It is 14 days old but weighs only 1.2 oz and is slightly bigger than newly hatched ones. I have been feeding it flakes of tuna, chicken, cut up peas and veggies as crumbles are almost impossible for it to grab. It does better with pellets as it can sometimes grab it and throw it down it's throat. I have used a little poultry vitamins, and ordered brewer's yeast.
3. Mugsy rarely lays down, and mostly sleeps standing up, wobbling and chirps more than all the rest but it seems to have plenty of energy and runs around with a pellet when it occasionally gets one between it's beak.
Attached are pics of when it hatched and how it is now. I wish there was beak surgery that could be done to fix it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 18
Wow, that's quite extreme cross beak. I also have a duck that hatched with both sides missing, but alignment isn't too bad. He's almost a year old now!

I'm honestly not sure about the tuna, chicken, etc. (maybe the cause of the smelly gas?) I would suggest trying some chick starter crumbles moistened with water. Play with the soupiness until you find a consistency that he is able to eat best. But he will get it eventually! The tongue will harden a bit, where its exposed, but he will get used to it.

Personally, I think I would try to gently urge the bill back into alignment. I can't think of anything right off mechanically (like a strap or wrap of any kind), but maybe just holding him and working it occasionally with your hand. Gradually of course, like braces on human teeth, minimal pressure, just a little urging, if possible. Might be worth a try.

Mugsy is a cute name, and he sure is a cutie! Looks like maybe a Snowy?

Thank you. I will play more with soupy food. I have been doing the gentle pressure to align beak more. It didn't seem to be making a difference yet but I will keep trying.
I was feeding tuna because it was easy for him to break off a flaky piece and because it has niacin. I'm wondering if the gassiness has something to do with Mugsy swallowing air while eating.

Wow, that's quite extreme cross beak. I also have a duck that hatched with both sides missing, but alignment isn't too bad. He's almost a year old now!

I'm honestly not sure about the tuna, chicken, etc. (maybe the cause of the smelly gas?) I would suggest trying some chick starter crumbles moistened with water. Play with the soupiness until you find a consistency that he is able to eat best. But he will get it eventually! The tongue will harden a bit, where its exposed, but he will get used to it.

Personally, I think I would try to gently urge the bill back into alignment. I can't think of anything right off mechanically (like a strap or wrap of any kind), but maybe just holding him and working it occasionally with your hand. Gradually of course, like braces on human teeth, minimal pressure, just a little urging, if possible. Might be worth a try.

Mugsy is a cute name, and he sure is a cutie! Looks like maybe a Snowy?
Thank you WVduckchick. Yes, he is a snowy call duck and his full name is Mugsy Malone. I'm playing with soupy food to see what works, and trying to gently align beak which seems to not be working yet.

Thank you WVduckchick. Yes, he is a snowy call duck and his full name is Mugsy Malone. I'm playing with soupy food to see what works, and trying to gently align beak which seems to not be working yet.

I can't say that I've ever seen a realignment of a duck bill, though I remember seeing some progress made on a chicken cross-beak. He will likely learn how to eat anyway. I'm just not sure what issues the cross could cause long-term. They are so highly adaptive and amazing though!

Hello. My call duckling has a deformed beak, lots of gas, stands all the time.... looking for any ideas about what to do. Pics of Mugsy attached....
1. Their was a piece of beak missing and it only had 1 nostril. It has become worse and very scissor looking.
2. It is 14 days old but weighs only 1.2 oz and is slightly bigger than newly hatched ones. I have been feeding it flakes of tuna, chicken, cut up peas and veggies as crumbles are almost impossible for it to grab. It does better with pellets as it can sometimes grab it and throw it down it's throat. I have used a little poultry vitamins, and ordered brewer's yeast.
3. Mugsy rarely lays down, and mostly sleeps standing up, wobbling and chirps more than all the rest but it seems to have plenty of energy and runs around with a pellet when it occasionally gets one between it's beak.
Attached are pics of when it hatched and how it is now. I wish there was beak surgery that could be done to fix it. Any i
Attached are pics of when it hatched and how it is now. I wish there was beak surgery that could be done to fix it. Any ideas?
Here is another photo.
here is another photo from the next day…

Attachments

• 398607CB-C233-4A55-B461-3F95536F57A5.jpeg
    398607CB-C233-4A55-B461-3F95536F57A5.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 26
Update: Mugsy turned out to be a beautiful female. She is about 7 months now.

Attachments

• CE33CA5B-4C3B-4B09-A355-05D12213A62B.jpeg
    CE33CA5B-4C3B-4B09-A355-05D12213A62B.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom