Duckling with deformed bill, no nostrils

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quetsweyo, Jun 14, 2011.

1. quetsweyo

quetsweyo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    undefined:( duckling, 3 days old, has bill that looks like nostril holes never closed-has narrow center but big normal tip. Tongue shows from side and makes wet, squishy noises as breathes thru mouth. Not as active as the other 6 ducklings. Always presses up against the palm of my hand and talks to me. Doesnt eat as much.figure its difficult. Going to grind up crumbles and make a soupier mix for it. Is there anything else i can add to the food to help pep it up? Like egg yoke, sugar, milk, or beef? I have those. Anyone see this defect before? And what happenned? Quetsweyo

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

3. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    I'm sure I remember seeing a story where a duckling (or it may have even been some other type of bird or animal, but same principle) hatched without nostrils, however it turned out there was just a layer of skin or something covering the nostrils and it just needed to be removed to allow the animal to use the nostrils. I wouldn't go poking and prodding around though, maybe a trip to the vet? I'm not sure how well it could do without nostrils in terms of breathing and feeding...

4. quetsweyo

May 9, 2011
    Could i email you a close-up of the bill, see what you think? I cant see where nostrils might fit. He breathes faster than the others, gets up to run around then lays down and takes a nap. Reminds me of me these days! Tried the powdered crumbles but the peas had gone bad so i used greek yogurt. He shook it off but the others liked it. Quetsweyo

5. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    He can live without a bill. but he needs special attention. so u need to take time out just for him and if the other ducks pick on him i would seperate him.

6. quetsweyo

May 9, 2011
    The lil guy and i just spent some quality time on my bed with him pressing up on the palm of my hand and napping under the blanket. The others arent picking on him yet but i am watching them. I am 'spose to be taking it easy but all i do is back and forth from bed to duckroom. And i got one of their egg brothers hatching today, just flopped its head and neck out of the shell. And more on the way. Im babbling again, end of line, Q-pooped.

7. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    If you could post a picture on here everyone could see it and see what they think [​IMG] He can probably survive, but will need special attention like DuckLover said.

8. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Why dont u move the ducks where u are? They were in my room until they got REALLY messy lol.

9. quetsweyo

May 9, 2011
    undefined:D ducklover2399 i like the way you think! But i moved my bed into the living room winter 2009 coz of no gasfor heat and have stayed. We live in here in winter w/kerosene and 2 oil-filled heaters as needed. There are 2 dogs and 6 cats and they are all dying to meet the ducklings or id do it in a minute! Thats probably TMI. Anyhow in also recooping from hip rplcmnt surgery so no moving furniture. Enuff of that-right now ive got FreakyBeakiy and todays hatchling on an old t-shirt on a hotpad on me in bed coz Pokey was still wet and needed out of the incubator to dry and i have more eggs in there, gonna pip any minute. Freaky is up under my chin as i write. Nowhere else will do except he keeps heading for my hair. Adam id love to post pix but allihave is this cell phone and when i do get to the librarys computer i still have to get the librarian to show me how, depends on whos there. A nice byc member posted some pix for me the other day but i dont want to become a pest. Maybe tomorrow. Q

10. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

If you know how to text them to me or if you can email them to me i will be more than happy to post them for you. If so PM me and i will give you my phone number or an email

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by