Duckling with feathers on his legs?*Now with pic!*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sparkles2307, May 17, 2010.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Are ducks supposed to have feathered legs? I hatched 9 mixed breed ducklings this weekend and one has a patch of down on each ankle. He looks like a mallard or rouen, and the down on his legs is yellow. Does this happen often?

I know its the worst pic ever but the glowing patch on his leg is the fuzz....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Really? Ive never heard of that before. PICTURES PLEASE!!!

3. sparkles2307

Argh I knew I should have taken some! My camera is REALLY bad at close up pics. I will try...

4. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    X2 Definantly have to see pics!!!!

5. sparkles2307

He doesnt have a lot, just a very tiny patch at each ankle, about the size of a duckling's eye, if that.

6. sparkles2307

OK everyone, my camera is on the fritz but I took a pic with my cell phone, and have been trying to send it to my PC all morning...and Verizon keeps giving me a message about network issues....ARGH

7. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I was reading in Storey's last night about colors (Black specifically) as I have a Cayuga and they mentioned in there that it is does happen, and goes away but is not show/ breeding quality.

8. sparkles2307

If that is the case then most of my babies are cayuga crosses (but they all look like mallards?" because 5 of the 9 have feathers on the legs now that I looked closer...

9. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Quote:Sorry, didn't mean that they were Cayugas... just that the book says that feathered legs DO happen. "Some have a row of feathers running down outside of their legs." I'm sure there are other breeds where that happens also, probably more likely because they are mixed? Maybe someone else knows more... I'd love to see pics!

10. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    LOL maybe his daddy is a Cochin . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by