Duckling with foot problems

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mccluckers, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    I have a 4 day old call duckling and his feet turn in. It doesn't bother him and he doesn't trip up but I don't know if I should do anything? His 2 day old sibling is also slightly turned in. They are being fed on duck starter. Sometime the older one will lie down randomly, like earlier they were running round my room and they food a pea skin and the older one got it and then was lying down when trying to swallow it. What could this be ? Can I do anything about it?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just posted on your other thread you asked about but here it is again.. https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/
    you can do something and it needs to be done pretty quick.

3. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    That is so confusing! If I uped the niacin would it fix it?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It may help but if feet are crooked they need to have shoes made to hold the foot a normal place, you can use thick crd board or plastic just be sure to cover with vet wrap or tape to help keep sharp edges from cutting into their skin. Usually once they are wearing the shoes for 2-5 days the feet are in normal position. Can you post pics?

Some reading https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/614785/what-is-crooked-feet-a-result-from

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  5. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Ok how do I make the shoes? The legs are normal ( I think ) will send pics when they wake up!

6. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Hi got the pics took me ages they don't [​IMG]stay still!

Thanks

7. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    It is as if the top of the leg is normal and then the shin just twists in but if I hold him to with his feet just touching the ground they are straight?

8. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Lots of ducks have slightly turned-in feet, especially the first couple days or so of life. If they are still able to walk and get around without tripping over their own feet, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. They might straighten up a bit as they get a little older, but what I see in that pic would not concern me at all. Unless it starts to get worse and they have trouble walking, of course.

9. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Ok thanks orca but he/she does lie down more than his/her sibling. Does this mean anything?

10. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    It could, yes. Sorry, I thought it was the other duckling that was lying down more. That's often the first indication of leg issues. Have you read through this link: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I had a couple ducklings that developed slipped tendons back when I was an Avian Keeper. The first indication anything was wrong with them is one would sit down pretty much all the time. She'd get up and walk to the food, then sit down to eat, etc. They both ended up with slipped Achilles Tendons (you can read about it in the above link I posted) that we were unable to correct despite our awesome Vet staff. Now hopefully this isn't what's going on, but I would read up on it and see if you can tell if the tendon is slipping out of place at all on that hock.

It could also just be the common slightly turned in feet that many ducks have. I'm hoping for that alternative for you. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by