duckling with injured leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SamHunley, Jul 24, 2013.

1. SamHunley

SamHunley Hatching

Jul 24, 2013
    About a month ago, I rescued 5 mallard ducklings as they were orphaned. Unfortunatly only 1 survived. Overall the duckling has been healthy but about 2 weeks ago the duckling started to not use one of its legs. It wouldn't stand, just sat down in the corner. I got really worried because it wouldnt move at all so I ended up having to hand feed it to get it to eat and drink. I would put it in water to exercise its leg but it would not swim and in time would start to sink. I am not sure what happened to it. I have no knowledge about ducks at all, just wanted to help save these ducklings and let them free as soon as I feel they could live on their own.

Fast forward to now and they duck seems to be doing a little bit better. I read about Niacin deficiency so I have been giving my duckling Poly-Vi-Sol without the iron and i think it really has helped put a little bit of life back into the duck. It moves around more, and when put in water it swims instead of sinking but its leg is still messed up. It has learned to balance on the good foot and still can run fast with the gimpy leg.

I just want to see if anyone had any suggestions on what I should do. Should I just leave the leg alone and it will hopefully heal on its own or should I bandage it up to help with the healing process? I dont know if the leg is sprained or broken. I dont have the money to take it to the vet, and alot of vets wont take in wild ducks so I am at the end of my rope. [​IMG]

Thank you to anyone that is willing to help

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

That was so sweet of you to save this duckling, and to see it through this rough time with it's leg, I am not sure how much niacin poly vi sol has in since it's an infant vitamin, You might want to get some plain niacin and try giving that to the duckling. just be sure to get the plain not flush free or time released. the infant vit. may not have enough of the niacin this lil one needs. and if not able to release it because of it's leg are you going to be able to give it a home? if not maybe you should see if you have any rehabbers in your area. releasing a duck with a "gimpy" leg is most likely sure death. Sure is cute.

3. daisychicken

daisychicken In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2013
    Florida
    Ducks can develop leg problems. If you ask someone who owns ducks then they might be able to help you.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: