duckling with leaking yolk??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ReeChatelain, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ReeChatelain

ReeChatelain Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    I need some advise. I've read everything i can find and still i don't know what to do. I'm hatching my first clutch of rouen duck eggs. All 5 were progressing well and due on Sunday. But nothing and when i candled on Sunday there was movement in 3 but no pipping. Monday morning 1 had internally pipped. The other had no movement. By Tuesday,(day 30) i decided to help i made a small opening and could hear her chirping i waited a few hours and peeled back a little more shell. The inner membrane was extremely dry. So i moistened it and could see some small veins. So i wrapped her in a warm wet paper towel and put her back in the incubator. She has been breathing and chirping and moving she head a bit. My concern is when i got home i could see some wet looking yellow liquid leaking from the shell opening. She is in no danger of drowning but I'm worried she ruptured the yolk sac.. tonight i moistened the exposed membrane and could tell the yellow liquid was mostly dried and sticky. So my big fear is that she will be stuck in the shell. There are still some veins so i think its too soon to try helping her more. But I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm going to be heart broken if i lose them all.. Any advise??

2. ReeChatelain

May 9, 2012
    [​IMG]

Not a great picture through the foggy window. But you can see the yellow drip. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Let me zoom in on your pic, I should be able to help

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    You have a sticky baby there,

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I can help you with this baby but we need to act fast.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  6. ReeChatelain

May 9, 2012
    what should i do?

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    OK well I can see his beak which is good, has he made a hole yet?

8. ReeChatelain

May 9, 2012
    Yes. He had broken through the membrane already. I'm scared to try to help unstick him since i can see a few thick blood vessels.

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Heres what I need you to do, that yellow stuff, ISN"T yolk, its gooy sticky stuff, it will sufficate him. SO, don't put any wet paper towels on him get a dry one, and place it on his hole, what you need to do is Suck up that gooy stuff.

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    it's got to come out otherwise he won't make it. Looks like theres quite a bit in there too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by