Duckling with leg probems

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kaitie09, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We have 2 ducklings a little over a week old. The one is perfectly normal, while the other one has something going on with its legs. I just noticed it today. The feet are turned inward and the duckling does not straiten the legs. He/she walks on them partially bent. They have been on pine shavings since we got them, and TSC has pine shavings too. The duckling is walking fine, just a little more waddle, and it can stand straight up fine when he/she is flapping its feathers out. When standing still, the two feet sort of cross over each other a little bit. We have has]d them in our tub everyday for some swimming, and then have a small pie dish in their brooder. These are our fist so I do not know much about their bones, but when I tried to straighten the leg out, it would pretty much go all straight except for a little bend. Also, the knee feels very boney with a lot of little sharp bumps.

Sorry for the mess, It had not been cleaned yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It could be a defect from hatching- but also the symptoms you describe could be attributed to a niacin or other vitamin deficiency. Ducklings grow so fast that they do commonly have leg issues- sometimes they are gone as fast as they came on but other times adding vitamins to the diet can be of great benefit. Adding some powdered multi vitamins and brewers yeast to the drinking water might help this little one along.
    What are you currently feeding the ducklings?

3. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    We are feeding it Dunmor starter/grower that is not medicated. It was the same thing that TSC was feeding them.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I wasnt able to find out much about the Dumor product online- but still think a regime of multivitamins - especially the B group of vitamins would be the best thing to recommend at this stage. Swimming for therapy may also help to strengthen the legs as well once the vitamins are being given.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by