Duckling with leg problems

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
I just picked up 3, 4-day-old ducklings from TSC this morning. They've already settled in nicely. However, I've noticed one of them is having problems with his/her left leg. I don't think it was having problems when I first got them. They have nutritional yeast in their food for niacin. What could be the problem? Last year, I had a duckling with a similar problem, but I thought she had gotten trampled. She ended up dying at about 8 weeks from seizures after lots of special care. :( I really don't want a repeat! What could it possibly be? I'm not 100% sure on the breed, but I think it is a pekin.

How long have you had them? Can the duck with the problem stand & walk? What are you feeding them and how much nutritional yeast are you giving per cup of food? It should be one tablespoon per cup. What are you using for bedding? Oh, a picture might also be helpful if you can post some.

I'm going to tag some other members that can also help here since I won't be online much longer.

@casportpony
@Miss Lydia
@jtn42248
@RavynFallen
@WVduckchick
@Amiga

Edited for clarity and typing errors.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I should have been more detailed. I've had them for all of 6 hours, I'm not sure what the TSC store was feeding them, but I am giving them chick starter with 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast to 1 cup of feed. The hurt duckling does eat and drink k. He resists moving or walking; if he has to, he kind of does a run/limp thing, dragging his left leg, and sits down as soon as possible. I use wood shavings for bedding. What type/angle of pictures would be helpful?

I'm sorry, I should have been more detailed. I've had them for all of 6 hours, I'm not sure what the TSC store was feeding them, but I am giving them chick starter with 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast to 1 cup of feed. The hurt duckling does eat and drink k. He resists moving or walking; if he has to, he kind of does a run/limp thing, dragging his left leg, and sits down as soon as possible. I use wood shavings for bedding. What type/angle of pictures would be helpful?
Have you gently palpated his leg and checked for swelling or hot places. check behind the leg at the knee for swelling and redness. see if you can bend the leg normal positions.
Maybe put the ducklings in some warm water just up to their body and see how it does with pressure taken off the legs. stay right with them when doing this.

a good pic of whole leg.

Last edited:
The leg looks and feels exactly like the other ducklings. It bends in all the directions it us supposed too, and he lets me touch it/move it without seeming like it hurts him. When he lays down, it does seem to be out from under him more than the other - not sure if he does that to keep the weight off of it or if it us splayed like that. I will get some pictures ASAP. One end of the brooder is 90 and the other 85. However, the thermometer seems to be on it's last leg so it may not be as accurate as it needs to be.

The leg looks and feels exactly like the other ducklings. It bends in all the directions it us supposed too, and he lets me touch it/move it without seeming like it hurts him. When he lays down, it does seem to be out from under him more than the other - not sure if he does that to keep the weight off of it or if it us splayed like that. I will get some pictures ASAP. One end of the brooder is 90 and the other 85. However, the thermometer seems to be on it's last leg so it may not be as accurate as it needs to be.
Are they laying right under the heat lamp? What about up at the top of them leg where it meets at the hip. It maybe one of the other ducklings accidentally stepped on this lil ones leg and it may just take a few days to recoup.

They move around a good amount, but when the sleep they tend to lay on the cooler side.

Here is his leg - sorry if the picture is blurry. He didn't like being away from his buddies!

I'm hoping he'll recover on his own given a little bit of time. I know one of them fell a good distance (two feet?) when they were getting put in the brooder. I don't remember if it was this one or not, but it could be.

Back
Top Bottom