1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling with long feathers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ms ChickenDuck, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Ms ChickenDuck

Ms ChickenDuck New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    [​IMG]Hello Everyone,
    I've been lurking the forum for a while now but this is my first post.

Our Pekin mamma duck has just hatched 10 ducklings five days ago. Everyone is doing great but I have a question about our 10th & smallest baby.

She/He is much smaller than everyone else and has these long feathers! I'm not sure what to make of it, any suggestions?

Thanks [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

has he dried off? if he seems dry is he crusty?

3. Ms ChickenDuck

Ms ChickenDuck New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    Thanks for the reply :) Yes he's dry but crusty doesn't sound good, is there anything I can do for him or will he be okay on his own?

4. Poultry parent

so is he crusty?
    crusty is just when they don't fluff up while they dry, it can make it harder to keep warm and all you do for that is run him under warm water and dry him off

1 person likes this.
  5. Ms ChickenDuck

Ms ChickenDuck New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    Thank you so much for the advice, he was crusty but when i washed him he had hardly any baby fluff, he was very different from the other 9 :(

After I posted this question his Mamma pushed him away from the others & wouldn't let him under her. We brought him inside but he was fading quickly, I called the feed store & they suggested some honey mixed with water fed by syringe. It picked him up & he was good with eating on his own and he seemed perky enough but he passed away just a few hours ago.

I've only owned chickens & ducks for 8 months & this was the first hatch I've ever experienced.

I feel really responsible for his death even though the feed store said maybe his egg got cold or something because he just didn't look like the other chicks. He hatched the same day as everyone else but he was half their size & he didn't seem to get any bigger like the others.

Thanks again for the advise, I'll know for next time to wash the crusty ones straight away.

6. Poultry parent

you did the best you could! that is what matters. and try not to blame yourself. if he was in the wild he would have died a worse death than he did! now you know something that will help more of you chicks, and ducklings to survive!

7. Ms ChickenDuck

Ms ChickenDuck New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    Thank you. Yes I'm grateful he didn't suffer out in the coop & I was able to hold him as he passed, poor wee thing.
    I love keeping my animals but there is so much to learn at least now like you said I've learnt a valuable lesson & I can try to prevent this from happening again.

8. Poultry parent

yes! when things like that happen to me i try my best not to blame myself and i think about what i've learned prevent it from happening again.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by