Duckling with mucus coming from mouth...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agregg15, Aug 17, 2011.

1. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi guys. I got my WH ducklings today and one of them has a lot of clear mucus coming from her mouth. I think it might be upper respiratory infection. Does anyone know what this is. I'm scared for her because she is rather sleepy (more than a usual duckling.) For now I'm going to seperate her and give her a lot of warmth, water, and food. Please help me.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Did you contact the hatchery? do you have save a chick? or electrolyes for chickens? if not give her a tiny amt of sugar in some warm water. Don't keep giving her the sugar water though, but save a chick is great to have on hand. Hopefully it's not a resp. infections. . I don't know what you could give a tiny duckling, Lets hope for the best. [​IMG]

3. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the help. The mucus has started to slow down and she's eating and drinking fine. Her siblings have also calmed down a little and started to sleep when she started getting better. I think I'll just make extra sure to give her a pristine living environment. She was also playing earlier. I also forgot to mention that her brother had the same issue and stopped. I hope she'll be okay. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Good news and please let us how she is [they] are in the morning, [​IMG]

5. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:Good news and please let us how she is [they] are in the morning, [​IMG]

Thanks for the response. I just don't want anything happening to this little girl because she is the sweetest one out of them all and likes to cuddle. I will definitely report in the morning how she is. If this keeps up for much longer I'm going to call Metzer.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I'd go ahead and call Metzer, just to be safe. I learned with my ducks that by the time I notice something, it may be well along.

Also, do they have a way to wash their whole heads all the time? Water deep enough to stick their entire heads into so they can clean their nares and ears and eyes? That's important to help avoid infections, which can turn ugly.

I agree, too that a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic is good to have on hand and give to them weekly while they grow, and during times of stress.

7. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    My duckling is doing much better and they do have clean water 24/7 that they can wash their heads in. She's stopped producing mucus and was playing earlier so I'm hoping she's okay (knock on wood.)

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:So glad to hear the news, wishing you and your new charges all the best.. [​IMG]

9. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:So glad to hear the news, wishing you and your new charges all the best.. [​IMG]

Thanks [​IMG]

10. Stacy2013

Stacy2013 New Egg

May 12, 2013
    Bay City Or
    Hi I have two ducks the have that mucus and there are two month old this month. I'm going to try the sugar water and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by