Duckling with neurological issues?

cheesechee

Chirping
May 20, 2021
Back with some more duckling issues bc they're new to me compared to the other birds I own...

I hatched out some ducklings from my own birds... Both are very healthy and don't exhibit any issues but this last duckling... It's quite different. The little fella hatched about 5 days after the due date and was the last to hatch. Good fertility rates, all other ducklings are flawless, all is good.

This little guy is a NUTTER!!! Hes got splayed legs as well but I don't think that's a part of the issue. Dude will randomly look in different directions and leap as high as he can and he'll propel himself and cheep and he's just CRAZY! He rolls around like a doedicurous from the video game ark and he's just not great... If I can compare him to any real animals it would be a rabid animal but that's not possible
I put him in a sock bc of the splayed legs and it makes him calm down significantly but as soon as I let him out he's acting like a dying animal.. is this someone anyone knows about? It's just so bizarre? He also shivers constantly even if he's too hot I've been having to manage him all day to keep him at just the right temp.

I am willing to put him down if needed, I've raised around 200 quail and I've had to put down a few due to deformities, but if this is fixable I'd like to know

*Sidenote: the ducklings are a cross of a female khaki Campbell and a male Welsh harlequin if that helps... For some reason...

I wasn't sure if this was an emergency or just y'know a deformity so I put it in the duck forums.

Only other time he calms down is if I pet him to sleep while holding him and he kind of swings his head till he falls asleep* the older ducklings tried to kill him when they met him

I have no idea what is going on. It's always worth trying niacin. You should be able to get hold of Duret Vit B complex from Tractor Supply Co or on line. its says its injectable, but for ducks, its given orally: 1 drop soaked into a treat once a day.

I don't think you should cull the little life at the moment. It may very well go on to lead a happy life. Tender loving care and Niacin unless it becomes distressed

Attachments

• High level Vit B Complex.jpg
    High level Vit B Complex.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 4
I have no idea what is going on. It's always worth trying niacin. You should be able to get hold of Duret Vit B complex from Tractor Supply Co or on line. its says its injectable, but for ducks, its given orally: 1 drop soaked into a treat once a day.

I don't think you should cull the little life at the moment. It may very well go on to lead a happy life. Tender loving care and Niacin unless it becomes distressed
Yeah I always have my ducklings on a Lil extra brewers yeast with their foods, I don't think it's a deficiency though, he's only a day old 😕

To correct the splay leg you can hobble him with a narrow strip of vet wrap for a few weeks, while giving him the liquid vitamin B complex every day. I hope his other issues smooth out!
Thank you, im gonna try the hobble when I have a second pair of hands tonight bc he's so wiggly, he is a very strange one

Also yeah I agree, I always make sure to find some solution before culling. The quail I spoke about I only killed because they were in distress and pain, this little guy is sweet when he's not flipping out so I'm trying my best

Back
Top Bottom