Duckling with New Ducks Disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ccmarie, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have a five day old Rouen/Pekin mix, hatched from some eggs my dad gave me--so this is my first time with ducks. This one had been wetter than the others. I noticed today she's smaller, with her head twisted to one side. She's got discharge from nose, mouth and eye. She was rolled over when I found her and doesn't seem to have much energy, though she flails sometimes. Is there any thing I can do for her? She's with one other sibling who is very healthy, and two more went to a new home yesterday. If this is New Duck disease, should I separate them? I can send the third with the other two, or would that cause the bacteria to spread?

2. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    In case anyone else has a similar problem and comes across this, I thought I'd give a little update.

We made a "tonic" for the one that was sick, with water, a little sugar, and red pepper paste. Unfortunately, she had already died before we gave it to her. We sent the third to live with the other two we had already sold, and all three are doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by